Wednesday Update: VandyBoys stay hot with 7-3 victory over Evansville

The Commodores used dominant pitching and a dynamic sixth inning to take down the Purple Aces.
Miguel Beristain
Johnathan Vastine and Jayden Davis on the field , as photographed on Feb. 28, 2024 (Hustler Multimedia/Miguel Beristain)

In the Commodores’ first game against Evansville since last season’s historic 17-inning matchup, the VandyBoys defeated the Purple Aces 7-3. Five separate players recorded an RBI while five pitchers allowed only three hits in the convincing win.

WHAT THEY SAID

Tim Corbin

“Today was a great team pitching effort. Four guys going two innings and they all did a great job staying ahead and getting the lead off guy out.”

“We just needed to find ourselves a little bit. Last night helped a lot. Today, we scored and maintained that aggression throughout.”

Top 1: Vanderbilt 0, Evansville 0

McElvain walked the leadoff batter but settled in nicely, executing a smooth pickoff move to first base to cap off a scoreless frame.

Bottom 1: Vanderbilt 2, Evansville 0

Vanderbilt got the scoring started with a pair of doubles, first by Jacob Humphrey and then by Camden Kozeal. Davis Diaz got a hit shortly after, roping a single to right field to bring home Kozeal.

Top 2: Vanderbilt 2, Evansville 0

After a one-out walk, the VandyBoys turned a crisp 5-4-3 double play to end the inning. Despite allowing two walks, McElvain only faced six batters through two frames.

Bottom 2: Vanderbilt 2, Evansville 0

Vanderbilt was unable to get anything going in this frame, with Davis Diaz, Calvin Hewett and Jonathan Vastine going down 1-2-3.

Top 3: Vanderbilt 2, Evansville 1

Sawyer Hawks entered the game for McElvain and quickly found himself in trouble as a walk and stolen base left the Purple Aces with a runner in scoring position. An opposite-field double by Mark Shallenberger drove home their first run. Hawks recovered to limit the damage to one and threw four out of six curveballs for strikes.

Bottom 3: Vanderbilt 2, Evansville 1

This frame was a missed opportunity for the VandyBoys, as Humphrey was on third base with one out after running out an infield single, stealing second base and advancing to third on a shallow fly ball by RJ Austin. Unfortunately, Kozeal and Espinal were unable to drive him in.

Top 4: Vanderbilt 2, Evansville 1

Hawks mowed through the first three batters that he saw, recording two strikeouts in a dominant inning.

Bottom 4: Vanderbilt 2, Evansville 1

Vanderbilt offense was ignited in the fourth with a one-out LaNeve double. After a Diaz strikeout, Hewett HBP and Vastine walk, Humphrey stepped up to the plate with two outs and the bases loaded. Unfortunately, the junior was unable to capitalize, striking out swinging to end the promising inning. 

Top 5: Vanderbilt 2, Evansville 1

Ryan Ginther entered the contest for the Commodores. The crafty lefty worked around a one-out walk to retire the Purple Aces, ending the inning with a strikeout to fire up the dugout.

Bottom 5: Vanderbilt 3, Evansville 1

Vanderbilt took advantage of inconsistent Evansville fielding, as an errant throw and dropped pop-up allowed Austin and Kozeal to get on first and second with no one out. After an Espinal bunt, Davis drove in Austin on a peculiar fielder’s choice that saw Kozeal tagged out at second base after miscommunication between him and Austin.

Top 6: Vanderbilt 3, Evansville 1

Ginther allowed another one-out walk, but a sharp 4-3 double play kept the Purple Aces off the board in the sixth.

Bottom 6: Vanderbilt 7, Evansville 1

The VandyBoys put together a clinic in small ball as the Commodores scored four runs on four singles, a walk and three stolen bases. Humphrey stole the show, as he dropped a perfectly executed bunt, stole second, and then scored on a dropped third strike. Austin also registered a single, stolen base and run.

Top 7: Vanderbilt 7, Evansville 2

Alex Kranzler entered the game for the Commodores, hoping to bounce back from his unlucky outing on Sunday. He surrendered a one-out home run to Kip Fougerousse but pitched a flawless inning otherwise.

Bottom 7: Vanderbilt 7 , Evansville 2

The Commodores hit some balls hard but were retired 1-2-3.

Top 8: Vanderbilt 7, Evansville 2

Kranzler surrendered a one-out walk but pitched around the traffic for a smooth eighth inning. The Commodores allowed just two hits through eight innings.

Bottom 8: Vanderbilt 7, Evansville 2

After Vastine and Humphrey were retired, Austin ripped a single to center field and stole second base. He finished the day with three hits and three stolen bases.

Top 9: Vanderbilt 7, Evansville 3

Freshman RHP Brennan Seiber entered the game for the VandyBoys. A walk, single and wild pitch left runners on second and third with no one out. After a run scored on a Davis error, Seiber recovered to retire the side and secure the Commodore win.

Final: Vanderbilt 7, Evansville 3

Vanderbilt will return to action on Friday, Mar. 1, against Louisiana in the Astros Foundation College Classic.