VandyBoys selected as a No. 2 seed in NCAA Tournament, will travel to Corvallis regional

Vanderbilt will travel west as the No. 2 seed in the Corvallis regional in the upcoming NCAA baseball tournament.
Vanderbilt was selected as a No. 2 seed in the upcoming NCAA Tournament. (Photo courtesy of Vanderbilt Athletics)

The NCAA announced on Monday morning that the VandyBoys (36-21) will travel to Corvallis, Oregon, as the No. 2 seed in Oregon State’s regional. They will be joined by New Mexico State and San Diego in the regional field as well as the host and No. 3 overall seed Oregon State Beavers.

The four squads will compete in a double-elimination format from June 3-6 at Goss Stadium. Vanderbilt will open up play against third-seeded San Diego on Friday, June 3. The winner of the regional tournament will advance to the super regional tournament alongside the other 15 regional tournament winners. The super regional field and hosts will be announced on June 8. The eight super regional winners will determine which teams advance to Omaha, Nebraska, to compete in the 2022 College World Series.

The winner of the Corvallis regional will play the winner of the Auburn regional in the super regional tournament. The Auburn regional will be hosted by SEC foe Auburn, with Southeastern Louisiana, Florida State and UCLA making up the rest of the field.

Following a disappointing end to the regular season that saw the LSU Tigers sweep the Commodores in Nashville, Vanderbilt dropped out of contention to host a regional. This year marks the first time since 2018 that the VandyBoys will not host a first-round regional, having done so in both 2019 and 2021.

Those struggles were further amplified at the SEC Tournament in Hoover, Alabama, this past week. The Commodores went just 1-2 at the event, losing by a combined score of 20-3 at the hands of Tennessee and Kentucky in their final two games.

Nonetheless, Vanderbilt will have a chance to avenge its shortcomings at the upcoming NCAA regional and cement the legacy of this 2022 squad.