VandyBoys to host NCAA regional tournament, selected as No. 4 overall seed

The NCAA announced that Vanderbilt was selected as the No. 4 seed in the upcoming NCAA baseball tournament.
Vanderbilt will host an NCAA regional tournament in Nashville. (Twitter/@VandyBoys).

The NCAA announced on May 30 that Vanderbilt (40-15) will be hosting an NCAA baseball regional tournament beginning on Friday, June 4 and ending on Monday, June 7. Vanderbilt was tabbed as one of 20 potential regional host sites in early May.

The Commodores were awarded the No. 4 overall seed and the No. 1 seed in the Nashville regional by the NCAA on Monday. Vanderbilt will compete against No. 2 seed Georgia Tech,  No. 3 seed Indiana State and No. 4 seed Presbyterian in a double-elimination tournament at Hawkins Field June 4-7. Vanderbilt will open up play at 6 p.m. CDT on Friday, June 4 against Presbyterian.

The winner of the regional tournament will advance to the super regional tournament alongside the other 15 regional tournament winners. The super regional field and hosts will be announced June 8. The eight super regional winners will determine which teams advance to Omaha, Nebraska, to compete in the College World Series.

The Nashville regional is paired with the Greenville regional, meaning that the winner of the Nashville regional will play the winner of the Greenville regional in the super regional tournament. The Greenville regional will be hosted by East Carolina, with Norfolk State, Maryland and Charlotte making up the rest of the tournament.

Vanderbilt has hosted seven NCAA regional tournaments in its history, most recently in 2019. The Commodores won that tournament, beating Indiana State 12-1 in the final game en route to the program’s second College World Series win.

The teams competing in the Nashville regional have many overlapping storylines. No. 2 seed Georgia Tech is led by former Commodore infielder Justyn Henry-Malloy. No. 3 seed Indiana State competed in the Nashville regional in 2019 and Vanderbilt head coach Tim Corbin’s coaching career began at No. 4 seed Presbyterian.