Matthew Hayball reaches NFL, signs with the Saints

Commodore punter Hayball has joined the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted rookie free agent after a stellar final year at Vanderbilt.
Matthew Hayball has punted for Vanderbilt for two years; he just signed with the New Orleans Saints. (Hustler Multimedia/Lexie Perez)

After the conclusion of the NFL draft, undrafted players are allowed to sign with any team that tenders them a contract. Former Vanderbilt punter Matthew Hayball likely had plenty of interest from around the league, but the Australia native chose to sign with the New Orleans Saints, per Tom Pelissero.

This decision by Hayball makes all too much sense. The Saints finished dead last in punting last season, as their specialist, Lou Hedley, could only manage 43.0 yards per punt. This number puts Hedley at 33rd of 33 eligible punters in the NFL, a league that only hosts 32 teams.

Hayball started his career at FAU, taking a redshirt year before beginning a three-season stint as the Owls’ punter. He transferred to Vanderbilt with two years of eligibility remaining due to the COVID-19 NCAA exemption. During his final campaign, Hayball averaged 47.6 yards per punt and was a finalist for the Ray Guy Award, given annually to the best punter in college football.

After six years in school, Hayball declared for the NFL draft as a prime candidate for an NFL roster spot. The lefty went undrafted but will have a great chance to make the Saints 53-man roster come August.