2023 MLB Draft: Nick Maldonado selected by Miami Marlins in eighth round

The Vanderbilt reliever will head to the Miami Marlins after being the fourth VandyBoy taken in the 2023 MLB Draft.
Nick Maldonado pitching at the 2021 College World Series. (Vanderbilt Athletics)

Vanderbilt reliever Nick Maldonado was selected with the 233rd pick in the 2023 MLB Draft by the Miami Marlins. Maldonado is the fourth Commodore to be picked in the draft, following the selections of Enrique Bradfield Jr., Hunter Owen and Patrick Reilly

After a prolific high school career that was cut short due to injury, Maldonado appeared in just four games as a freshman for the VandyBoys due to COVID-19 ending the season. The righty reliever was able to hit the ground running in his sophomore season, though, appearing in a team-high 28 games from the bullpen and leading Vanderbilt’s relievers in both innings pitched (50.1) and ERA (2.31). Maldonado was used in different bullpen roles throughout the season but proved to be especially effective as Vanderbilt’s closer, as he tallied nine saves for the Commodores that year. Maldonado capped off a fantastic 2021 season with 2.0 shutout innings in Vanderbilt’s NCAA Super Regional win over East Carolina to send the Commodores to the College World Series. 

After an impressive sophomore season, Maldonado struggled to find consistency in his junior year due to role changes and an oblique injury that hampered the righty before sidelining him for multiple weeks. The New Jersey native finished the 2022 season having pitched 38.2 innings — a step down from the previous year, and his ERA jumped to 3.96. Following a shaky year, Maldonado bounced back in the 2023 season with a prolific season as Vanderbilt’s closer. As a senior, Maldonado tallied eight saves and sported an impressive 1.45 ERA across 31 innings pitched. The righty was a consistent force in the Commodores’ bullpen and now will look to build on that success in Miami.

Stay tuned to The Vanderbilt Hustler Sports section on Twitter for 2023 MLB Draft news.