2023 MLB Draft: Hunter Owen picked in fourth round by Kansas City Royals

Left-handed starter Hunter Owen was selected in the fourth round by the Kansas City Royals.
Kadyn Lee
Hunter Owen pitches against UCLA, as photographed on Feb. 25, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Kadyn Lee)

Vanderbilt left-handed pitcher Hunter Owen was selected with the 106th pick in the 2023 MLB Draft by the Kansas City Royals. He’s the second drafted Commodore this year.

Owen spent the majority of 2023 as the Saturday starter of Vanderbilt’s all-left-handed weekend rotation. After making only one start in his first two college seasons, Owen moved to a full-time starting spot this year. This season was the best of his career, as he posted a 3.52 ERA over 12 starts. His best game of the season was on March 17 when he threw a complete-game shutout against Ole Miss. 

However, Owen’s season was interrupted by injuries, and he only made two short starts in the postseason before Vanderbilt’s elimination. Injury concerns likely caused Owen to drop to the fourth round, after being prospected as a possible second-round selection by multiple outlets.

Owen lacks an overwhelming fastball but more than makes up for it with solid command of the strike zone and a consistent off-speed mix. Owen held opponents to just 2.4 walks per nine innings while averaging over 10 strikeouts per nine. 

Thanks to a commendable junior season, Owen has earned himself a shot with the Kansas City Royals organization.

Stay tuned to The Vanderbilt Hustler Sports section on Twitter for 2023 MLB Draft news.