BREAKING: Tyrin Lawrence enters transfer portal

Vanderbilt’s sensational junior Tyrin Lawrence entered the transfer portal on Monday morning, according to reports.
Ophelia Lu
Tyrin Lawrence by the rim of the court, waiting to shoot, as photographed on Mar 10, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Ophelia Lu)

In an offseason that has been filled with mostly bad news, the worst news has come to fruition for Vanderbilt Men’s Basketball. According to multiple reports, Tyrin Lawrence has entered the transfer portal.

A former four-star recruit out of high school, Lawrence was Vanderbilt’s most improved player in 2022-23. The junior wing jumped from 3.8 points per game last season to 13.1 points per game this year on more efficient shooting from the field and a 16-point uptick in three-point percentage.

The loss of Lawrence is a massive one for Vanderbilt moving forward, both in terms of reputation and on-court production. Jerry Stackhouse’s program has now lost seven players from the 2022-23 roster to the transfer portal, joining fellow upperclassmen Quentin Millora-Brown, Myles Stute, Jordan Wright, Trey Thomas and freshmen Malik Dia and Noah Shelby,. Vanderbilt has added just one portal addition in Evan Taylor.

Lawrence figures to be one of the most highly sought-after portal entries and his absence will leave a massive hole at the wing for the Commodores. You can follow along with Vanderbilt’s 2023-2024 roster with our live scholarship chart here.

Bryce Smith
Ophelia Lu
Ophelia Lu, Deputy Photography Director
Ophelia Lu (’26) is from Los Angeles and is double majoring in biomedical and electrical engineering in the School of Engineering. She previously served as a staff photographer. When not covering events and sports games for The Hustler, you can find her listening to a lot of music, studying at Starbucks or lying on Alumni lawn. She can be reached at [email protected].