PODCAST: Talking Men’s Basketball drama, Women’s Basketball culture

In Episode 19 of Live from West End, Justin Hershey joins to discuss drama throughout Men’s Basketball, as well as a newfound culture within the Women’s Basketball program.
Tyrin Lawrence jogs down the court after a made basket in Vanderbilt’s win over Ole Miss on Feb. 4, 2023 (Hustler Multimedia/Barrie Barto).

On this week’s episode of Live from West End, former Sports Editor Justin Hershey joins via Zoom to talk Men’s and Women’s hoops with Sports Editor Bryce Smith and Deputy Sports Editor Aiden Rutman. The trio discusses what went wrong in Men’s Basketball’s 57-point loss at No. 5 Alabama, as well as the Commodores Saturday matinee victory over Ole Miss. They cite culture problems as a potential factor in the season-long struggles that have plagued the men. They also discuss a pair of Women’s Basketball losses against Missouri and Georgia. The group praises head coach Shea Ralph for building up the culture of program in year two. Stay tuned until the end to hear three questions for the week, as well as some praise for Saturday Night Live and the city of Philadelphia in our new Anything but Vandy segment.

Further Reading

A tie 20 years in the making: Harbison and Anderson reflect on Sunday’s record-setting performance: In 2001, Chantelle Anderson set the Vanderbilt Women’s Basketball single-game scoring record. Over 20 years later, she was in Memorial Gymnasium to watch Ciaja Harbison be the first player to tie it.