Harrison Ray signs with Toronto Blue Jays

The senior second baseman has signed an undrafted free agent (UDFA) contract with the Toronto Blue Jays.
Harrison Ray slides into third against Louisville in the 2019 College World Series (Hustler Multimedia/Hunter Long)

Vanderbilt second baseman Harrison Ray is heading to Toronto.

Despite going undrafted in the 2020 MLB Draft, the former VandyBoy will get his shot at the next level with the Toronto Blue Jays. Ray came to terms with the Blue Jays on Sunday, making him the fifth Commodore to get the call. The signing was confirmed by Vanderbilt baseball on Sunday afternoon.

Ray will join former teammates Austin Martin, who was selected by the Blue Jays in the first round, and Philip Clarke in the farm system.

Ray, a senior, was the veteran anchor of an otherwise young Vanderbilt roster; in his final season, which was eventually cancelled due to the COVID-19 outbreak, Ray reached base safely in 17 of 18 games played and tied for second in the SEC with nine stolen bases

In his junior season, Harrison Ray helped the Commodores win the SEC regular season title, SEC Tournament win and National Championship by contributing a team-high 21 stolen bases on 24 attempts, along with 17 multi-hit games and seven multi-RBI games. Ray’s 2019 season was highlighted by his record-setting three doubles in the SEC Tournament championship game and his diving catch to send Vanderbilt to the College World Series finals.

Ray, a native of Longwood, Florida, had a career .955 fielding percentage while at Vanderbilt, drove in 137 RBI’s and was a career .259 hitter.

Stay tuned to The Vanderbilt Hustler sports section on Twitter for MLB signees.