2023 MLB Draft: Grayson Moore drafted in the 14th round by the Chicago Cubs

After a career year in the Black and Gold, Grayson Moore will join the Chicago Cubs after being selected 416th overall
Grayson Moore struck out nine batters against the University of Central Arkansas Bears on Feb. 21, 2023 (Hustler Multimedia/Barrie Barto).

Vanderbilt reliever Grayson Moore was selected with the 416th pick in the 2023 MLB Draft by the Chicago Cubs. The selection comes fresh off the heels of a successful season for Moore. The right-handed pitcher posted a 3.08 ERA across 26.1 innings pitched in 2023, nearly two runs down from his 5.06 mark as a sophomore. The newest member of the Cubs farm system struck out 36 batters while walking just 10. 

Aside from being a reliable reliever Moore started two mid-week games against Tennessee Tech and Belmont, allowing just two runs across 6.2 innings of work in the two matchups combined. Perhaps most notable was Moore’s improvement throughout the season, though. After allowing four runs in just one inning in the team’s first-weekend matchup against TCU, Moore put together a streak from March 14 to May 27 without allowing a single run. It all culminated in his final mound appearance against Oregon in the Nashville Regional of the College World Series, when he struck out 4 batters across four perfect innings. 

“One of the more improved pitchers on our team,” head coach Tim Corbin said. “You are not guessing on what kind of effort and focus you are going to get from Grayson [Moore]…he’s all in.”

Stay tuned to The Vanderbilt Hustler Sports section on Twitter for 2023 MLB Draft news.