April 2024 streaming guide: Shows to watch before finals

As April begins, here is a list of shows streaming services are releasing this month.
Isabella Bautista
Zeppos Tower at sunset, as photographed on Sept. 28, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Isabella Bautista)

Finals are around the corner and soon we will all have rigorous study schedules as we try to end the school year on a high note before summer break. As exams loom and assignments pile up, the urge to watch a riveting series and press pause on studying becomes overpowering. If you are looking for a momentary escape from the demands of reality, here are a few shows to recharge your batteries. 

Netflix: “Ripley” (April 4)

Based on the novel, “The Talented Mr. Ripley” by Patricia Highsmith and a remake of the movie featuring Matt Damon, “Ripley” depicts the life of Thomas Ripley, a man with a talent for deception, impersonation and chaos. Set against scenic locales in Europe, the series is a visual masterpiece as viewers explore his twisted psyche. As his schemes become increasingly more daring and dangerous, Ripley barely avoids detection by the authorities each time. If you like not being able to anticipate the twists and turns of a story, “Ripley” is for you.

Apple TV+: “Sugar” (April 5)

Colin Farrell stars as a private investigator hired to investigate the disappearance of Olivia Siegel, the famous granddaughter of Hollywood producer Jonathan Siegel. The series is a stylish noir that combines aspects of detective fiction with a modern twist. He unearths various secrets of the Siegel family as he explores her disappearance. It’s a must-watch for fans who like to be kept on their toes.

Max: “The Sympathizer” (April 14)

A half-French, half-Vietnamese Communist spy stationed in South Vietnam flees to the United States where he gathers intelligence and reports back to the Viet Cong. Also featuring Robert Downey Jr. in various roles, “The Sympathizer” explores the turmoil that involves war: loyalty, identity and duality. Elements of dark comedy, exceptional performances and a riveting depiction of the Vietnam War will surely captivate viewers interested in this unique period of history.

Hulu: “Under the Bridge” (April 17)

Lily Gladstone and Riley Keough star in this drama series based on the eponymous novel by Rebecca Godfrey about the true story of a 14-year-old girl, Reena Virk, who goes missing after a night out with friends. Gladstone plays a police officer as the series depicts the lives of a group of teenage girls accused of the murder. The investigation reveals unlikely truths about the killer and forces individuals to reconcile their faith in humanity. If you like other murder mystery shows set in a small town where everyone is a suspect, you will surely find “Under the Bridge” entertaining.

While Vanderbilt offers free subscriptions for Max, many other streaming services have college student discounts. Students can be entertained and enjoy phenomenal TV series without paying the full cost for a streaming service, ensuring that everyone can get their fill of good TV this upcoming month.

Henry Shear
Henry Shear, Staff Writer
Henry Shear (‘26) is from San Diego, and is majoring in philosophy with a minor in psychology in the College of Arts and Science. When not writing for The Hustler, you can find him eating at Velvet Taco, watching tennis matches or spending time with friends at Rand. He can be reached at [email protected].
Isabella Bautista
Isabella Bautista, Deputy Life Editor
Isabella Bautista (‘26) is double majoring in mathematics and psychology and minoring in biological sciences on the pre-medical track in the College of Arts and Science. She is from Easton, Pa. When not writing for The Hustler, she can be found spending hours alone in a piano practice room, photographing Vanderbilt squirrels with her Canon camera or poring over research papers in the lab she works in. She can be reached at [email protected]