March 2024 streaming guide: Shows to watch out for this spring

As March begins, several streaming services are rolling out TV shows this month. Here’s a list of suggestions for what to watch out for.
George Albu
EBI Tower at sunset, as captured on Sept. 3, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/George Albu)

With the drudgery and cold weather of winter, Vandy students deserve a spring break filled with relaxation and time spent with family and friends. As we all recharge and prepare to finish the semester strong, here are some TV shows to enjoy over break with your loved ones and on your own. 

Max: “The Regime” (March 3)

From the twisted mind of Will Tracy, a writer of “Succession” and the horror film “The Menu,” comes a darkly satirical story focusing on a fictional European regime. Kate Winslet stars as Elena Verham, a cunning dictatorial leader intent on consolidating her power. She manages the country’s collapse with close confidant and loyal officer, Herbert Zubak (Matthias Schoenaerts). They face resistance from foreign officials and the recently imprisoned Leader of the Opposition, played by Hugh Grant. As protests rage, Verham resorts to violent measures to maintain her power. For fans of Kate Winslet’s other HBO shows and Will Tracy’s work, “The Regime” promises to be darkly entertaining. 

Peacock: “Apples Never Fall” (March 14)

Based on the novel of the same name by Liane Moriarty, “Apples Never Fall” chronicles a missing person’s investigation after family matriarch, Joy Delaney (Annette Bening), disappears and her four children confront the truth about their parents. Dark family secrets emerge as the children investigate which cause them to question everything about their lives. For those who like Moriarty’s other adaptations like “Big Little Lies” or “Nine Perfect Strangers,” “Apples Never Fall” is for you. 

Apple TV+: “Palm Royale” (March 20)

A suburban housewife in 1960s Florida, Maxine Simmons (Kristen Wiig) embarks on a journey of self-discovery after her husband divorces her. She attempts to infiltrate the elite and exclusive Palm Beach high society and yearns for acceptance. As Maxine transforms into a new persona, she questions her identity and the measures she will take to achieve what she wants. Issues of identity and class are central themes in this comedic series about a woman’s desire to fit in. Led by Wiig and featuring an incredible cast including Allison Janney, Laura Dern and Carol Burnett, “Palm Royale” is a must-watch for its blend of humor and drama. 

Netflix: “3 Body Problem” (March 21)

From the creators of “Game of Thrones,” D.B. Weiss and David Benioff, comes a sprawling adventure set in the past, present and future as humanity comes into contact with an alien civilization. The impending threat forces the characters to explore their resilience and their existential dread from encountering a civilization far more advanced than our own. For fans of science fiction and philosophical questions about the meaning of life, “3 Body Problem” promises to be a compelling watch.

Hulu: “We Were the Lucky Ones” (March 28)

Inspired by Georgia Hunter’s bestselling novel, “We Were the Lucky Ones” depicts the true story of a Jewish family’s fight for survival during World War II. Led by actors Joey King and Logan Lerman, the series demonstrates the endurance of the human spirit and hope for a better future amid some of the darkest moments of the 20th century. A moving tribute to triumph over adversity, “We Were the Lucky Ones” honors Jews who lost their lives and ensures society never forgets the atrocities of the Holocaust. 

While Vanderbilt offers free subscriptions for Max, many other streaming services have college student discounts. Students can be entertained and enjoy phenomenal TV series without paying the full cost for a streaming service, ensuring anyone gets their fill of good TV this upcoming month.