February 2024 streaming guide: The ultimate watchlist for TV fans

As February begins, several streaming services are rolling out TV shows this month. Here is a list of suggestions for what to watch out for.
Abby Hoelscher
Stambaugh House at twilight, photographed on Sept. 6, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Abby Hoelscher)

As a college student, it is not uncommon to be constantly busy. You may feel you devote your life to studying and extracurricular clubs with little time for leisure. Like most people, I need the occasional escape from thinking about exams, papers and projects. For me, there is no better way to recharge than watching a TV show after a long and tiring day. If you have ever questioned what the new great show is or what streaming service offers an exciting escape from reality, look no further. I have compiled a list of the best TV shows coming out this month from various streaming services.

Hulu/Disney+: “Genius: MLK/X” (Feb. 2)

Watch two of the most influential figures of the civil rights movement clash in the critically acclaimed “Genius” anthology series: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X. The series does not shy away from highlighting the duo’s starkly different ideologies, particularly MLK’s advocacy for nonviolence and Malcolm X’s promotion of self-defense. The focus on the human aspects of these larger-than-life figures presents flawed human beings with personal challenges of their own and sacrifices they endured in the pursuit of justice. Viewers witness the struggle for social justice and the roles individuals can play in shaping history. This installment is a must-watch for anyone interested in American history, civil rights and two of the most significant figures of the 20th century. 

Max: “Curb Your Enthusiasm” (Feb. 4)

The brainchild of the inimitable Larry David, “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” returns for its final season featuring its trademark wit, clever improvisation and cringe-worthy moments. Larry David stars as a fictional version of himself and his interactions with friends often lead to hilariously uncomfortable situations. The show’s ability to tackle taboo topics and social norms in a humorous manner has earned it a loyal following and critical acclaim. “Curb Your Enthusiasm” is always full of surprises and its final season is expected to be no different. 

Apple TV+: “The New Look” (Feb. 14)

Immerse yourself in an enthralling and stylish drama series set in the captivating world of post-World War II Paris in “The New Look” which chronicles the iconic rivalry between legendary designers Christian Dior and Coco Chanel. Ben Mendelsohn stars as Dior, a man intent on furthering his status in the fashion world against the backdrop of a city rising from the ashes of war. Viewers will be taken on a journey through a pivotal time in fashion history and understand the influence of fashion on society along with the individuals who shaped the era. It’s a must-watch for fans of fashion and historical storytelling. 

Netflix: “Avatar: The Last Airbender” (Feb. 22)

Relive your childhood and rediscover the magic of bending elements on a nostalgic journey with Netflix’s live adaptation of “Avatar: The Last Airbender.” This reimagining brings viewers back to the beloved world of Aang, Katara, Sokka and Zuko. Witness the epic struggle between the four nations retold through stunning visuals and captivating performances. Prepare to be transported back to adolescence as this series reignites the timeless wonder of the Avatar universe.

Hulu: “Shōgun” (Feb. 27)

This stunning adaptation of James Clavell’s bestselling novel is set in feudal Japan. The narrative centers around the journeys of two men: a powerful and devious Japanese warlord and a courageous British navigator. Their encounter alters not only their lives but also the course of Japanese history. The depiction of Samurai culture, political plots and clashes between Western and Eastern ideologies immerses viewers in 16th-century Japan. “Shōgun” is sure to be an epic viewing experience and a unique window into a fascinating part of world history. 

While Vanderbilt offers free subscriptions for Max, many other streaming services have college student discounts. Students can be entertained and enjoy phenomenal TV series without paying the full cost for a streaming service.

Henry Shear
Henry Shear, Staff Writer
Henry Shear (‘26) is from San Diego, and is majoring in philosophy with a minor in psychology in the College of Arts and Science. When not writing for The Hustler, you can find him eating at Velvet Taco, watching tennis matches or spending time with friends at Rand. He can be reached at [email protected].
Abby Hoelscher
Abby Hoelscher, Deputy Photography Director
Abby Hoelscher (‘27) is from St. Louis and is an aspiring elementary teacher currently studying in Peabody College. Outside of writing, she enjoys performing, learning Taylor Swift songs in American Sign Language and trying the seasonal lattes from the campus coffee shops. She can be reached at [email protected].