IN PHOTOS: Memorial Magic in full swing

With the football season officially ending, Vanderbilt athletics shifts to games in Memorial Gymnasium.
Ophelia Lu
Jason Rivera-Torres celebrates as Ezra Manjon scores a dunk, as photographed on Dec. 2, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Ophelia Lu)

With football officially closing its season, Commodores started playing more games in the Memorial Gymnasium, taking on opponents across the country. Get a glimpse of these exciting games through the lens of our photographers.

Football

Vanderbilt Football officially concluded its season with a final loss to Tennessee, marking the fifth straight time the Commodores fell to Tennessee. Following the 2-10 finish in conference play, quarterback Ken Seals announced his decision to enter the NCAA transfer portal, followed by Quarterback AJ Swann the next day. However, to mitigate the losses in the QB room, Vanderbilt landed a commitment from the transfer portal in former Utah quarterback Nate Johnson.

Commodores saw more changes on the team as Vanderbilt fired offensive coordinator Joey Lynch and demoted defensive coordinator Nick Howell. Tim Beck from New Mexico State has been hired to be Vanderbilt’s new offensive coordinator. Senior cornerback BJ Anderson and right tackle Bradley Ashmore declared for the NFL draft shortly after the conclusion of the season. However, Anderson was soon arrested in downtown Nashville under charges of public intoxication and assault.

Men’s Basketball

Vanderbilt Men’s Basketball has seen a season with ups and downs so far. Veterans Ezra Manjon, Evan Taylor, Collin Smith and Tyrin Lawrence are joined by new faces like Jason Rivera-Torres, JaQualon Roberts, Carter Lang and Malik Presley. The Commodores suffered home losses to Boston College 80-62 and San Francisco 73-60, but defeated Central Arkansas 75-71 and Alabama A&M 78-59. In away games, Commodores lost to both N.C. State 78-84 and Arizona State 67-82 during the Vegas Showdown and fell to Texas Tech 54-76 during the USLBM Coast to Coast Challenge. This season, the Commodores are overall 4-6 with 4-3 on home games.

Women’s Basketball

Since the beginning of the season, women’s basketball has surged past most of its contenders under Shea Ralph’s coaching, sitting almost unbeaten on 10-1 overall and 5-0 on home games. From Thanksgiving to the end of this semester, the ladies have won 77-74 against Western Kentucky, 88-42 against Alabama State, 71-63 against Louisiana Tech and 72-50 against Lipscomb at home. They also had two road wins against Iowa State and Northern Iowa for the South Point Shootout in Las Vegas.