Vanderbilt beats Alabama A&M 78-59 behind Lubin double-double

The Commodores broke a three-game losing skid with a 78-59 win over Alabama A&M.
Ophelia Lu
JaQualon Roberts after a dunk on Dec. 2, 2023 versus Alabama A&M. (Hustler Multimedia/Ophelia Lu)

The Vanderbilt Commodores (4-4) returned to the .500 mark Saturday with a 78-59 win over the Alabama A&M Bulldogs (1-6). Vanderbilt broke a three-game losing streak thanks to five different double-digit scorers and a double-double by Ven-Allen Lubin.

The Commodores got off to a slugglish start, trailing 9-6 in the opening few minutes. However, the Commodores did record highlight-reel play by Tyrin Lawrence and Ezra Manjon. Lawrence intercepted a pass, avoided stepping out of bounds and passed it to Manjon. On the fast break, Manjon found Lawrence again to finish an alley-oop.

The Commodores weren’t able to build a lead for most of the first half against the Bulldogs, who are ranked No. 344 in Division 1 by KenPom. Vanderbilt got its first real breathing room with just under five minutes left in the first half on a three-pointer by Lubin to stretch the lead to eight points. The Commodores extended their lead by going on a 14-2 run over a seven-minute span late in the half to get a 12-point edge, but a couple buckets and a three at the buzzer by Omari Peek made the score 36-29 at the break.

Both teams were sloppy on offense for the opening 20 minutes. Alabama A&M shot just 28.6% in the first half, while the Commodores shot 36.0%. Manjon and Lawrence both played the majority of the half despite Manjon picking up two early fouls. The other three starters — Lubin, Carter Lang and Evan Taylor — also played double-digit minutes in the first half.

The Bulldogs started the second half with an offensive surge, cutting the lead down to 44-40 at the first TV timeout. Vanderbilt was able to build its lead though with a four-point play by Tasos Kamateros as part of an 8-0 run. The Commodores were also in the bonus as early as seven minutes into the second half, making it easier to get to the line.

Even as the Commodores built a bigger lead, head coach Jerry Stackhouse left the starters in. Lang fouled out with five minutes left, so Jason Rivera-Torres played for the last few minutes. Vanderbilt was able to extend the lead to 19 points on a dunk by Manjon.

Despite the relatively slow performance, five Commodores made it into double-digit scoring: Lawrence, Lubin, Manjon and Rivera-Torres. Lubin recorded a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Lawrence led the scoring with 19 points. Manjon had 12 points and 7 assists. The Commodores shot 34 free throws over the course of the game, making 70.6%.

The Commodores will return to the court on Wednesday, Dec. 6 at 7 p.m. versus San Francisco at Memorial Gymnasium.