BREAKING: Vanderbilt fires offensive coordinator Joey Lynch, demotes defensive coordinator Nick Howell

On Wednesday evening, Vanderbilt released Joey Lynch of his coaching duties.
Ophelia Lu
Dancers run with Vanderbilt flags across the field as fireworks go off in the background, as photographed on Nov. 4, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Ophelia Lu)

On Wednesday evening, Vanderbilt Football fired offensive coordinator Joey Lynch.

“We had a season where our results and performance fell short of our expectations,” head coach Clark Lea said. “When that is the case, change is necessary. My background as a defensive coordinator will allow me to best serve our team by taking on that responsibility.”

Lynch was the offensive coordinator for the Commodores in 2022 and 2023 and was the quarterbacks coach in 2021. In 2023, Vanderbilt ranked last in the SEC in total offense with 318.92 total yards. The Commodores also ranked 110th in FBS with 22.8 points per game.

It was also announced on Wednesday that defensive coordinator Nick Howell would be demoted to be the defensive backs coach. Lea will take over defensive coordinator duties.

This season, the Commodores ranked 125th in FBS in passing yards allowed per game (279.6). Vanderbilt allowed a Tennessee team that averages 250.92 passing yards per game to throw for 449 yards last Saturday.

Defensive quality control coach Jamal Richardson will be promoted to an assistant coach role and defensive backs coach Dan Jackson will be demoted to an off-field role”.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Andrew Wilf
Andrew Wilf, Sports Editor
Andrew Wilf (’24) is Sports Editor for The Vanderbilt Hustler. He is from Livingston, N.J., and is majoring in history and minoring in business. He joined the sports staff his freshman year, previously serving as a Staff Writer, Assistant Sports Editor and Deputy Sports Editor. Beyond writing for The Hustler, he is also the host of Anchor Analysis, Commodore Clash and Live From West End. In his free time, Andrew enjoys watching the NFL and playing golf. He can be reached at [email protected].
Ophelia Lu
Ophelia Lu, Deputy Photography Director
Ophelia Lu (’26) is from Los Angeles and is double majoring in biomedical and electrical engineering in the School of Engineering. She previously served as a staff photographer. When not covering events and sports games for The Hustler, you can find her listening to a lot of music, studying at Starbucks or lying on Alumni lawn. She can be reached at [email protected].