Sweets in Music City: A guide to Nashville’s bakeries

From cookies to donuts to ice cream sandwiches, here’s the scoop on the best local bakeries.
Charlie Pagan
The storefront of Christie Cookie Co., as captured Dec. 3, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Charlie Pagan)

We all love Rand cookies, but have you ever hungered for something new? I certainly have, and through this desire, I set out to identify the greatest of off-campus confectionaries. If you’re on the hunt to satisfy your sweet tooth, look no further. Here are my picks for the best bakeries in Nashville.

Parlor Doughnuts

Parlor Doughnuts is not necessarily unique to Nashville, but its proximity to campus and exceptional quality warranted a spot on this list. Hailing from Evansville, Ind., Parlor Doughnuts has established numerous franchises throughout the country. Luckily, we’ve got one nestled right on West End Avenue, just a half-mile walk from Kissam. These thickly layered, densely decorated doughnuts may not serve as the light and energizing breakfast we are looking for going into finals, but they are delicious treats nonetheless. The bakery feels like a charming New England coastal town diner — enough to make one forget that they’re a mile from the heart of Nashville. Parlor boasts a number of creative yet timeless selections — from Cinnamon Sugar Minis to their famous Campfire Donut. For a limited time, they are also offering seasonal flavors, such as the Apple Pie and Pumpkin Chai Cheesecake doughnuts. 

Christie Cookie Co.

Christie Cookie Co.’s chocolate chunk cookie is one of the best cookies I have ever tasted. The treats are sized perfectly — slightly smaller than a Rand cookie — and the ratio between cookie and chocolate is ideal: consistently close to a 50/50 split. The outer rim was properly crunchy, yet the inside had just the right amount of gooey texture that always makes me question just how long a cookie has been in the oven. The bakery’s superb qualities are not universal, however. It is clear that the chocolate chunk cookie is Christie Cookie Co.’s crowned jewel. Other items on the menu, such as the snickerdoodle cookie or the brownie, were good, but certainly not great. The brand boasts two locations: one in Germantown and one on 12 South. If I were to recommend one item from this entire review, it would be Christie’s chocolate chunk cookie.

Five Daughters Bakery

Right down the street from Christie Cookie Company is Five Daughters Bakery. This establishment runs locations throughout Nashville and Atlanta, all owned and operated by Isaac and Stephanie Meek, and, as one might expect, their five daughters. While they boast a wide variety of treats on their menu — probably the most diverse selection included in this review — I focused on their donuts and pastries. Five Daughters offers “100 Layer” donuts, which are very similar to the cronut. These delicacies come in standard and miniature sizes and offer staple and monthly flavors. While everything I tried was very delicious, I found the smaller donuts to be the better snack. I could grab one and eat it on my way to class without much mess, with just a quick burst of energy and taste that would not result in a sugar rush. The larger donuts are often more elaborate and thus demand attention if one is to get the full experience out of the treat without making a mess.

The Baked Bear

Right on Division Street, past graduate student housing and a multitude of bars, lies The Baked Bear. Open until 11:00 p.m. CST on weekends, this is a great place for a late-night snack. The Baked Bear offers a variety of fresh-baked cookies and homemade ice cream, but their specialty is a combination of the two in the form of a sandwich. With a dozen different flavors of each, as well as rotating cookies of the month and seasonal ice cream selections, even the most avid fans of The Baked Bear could be making new combinations throughout their time at Vanderbilt. While cookie purists may prefer Christie Cookie Co. and ice cream connoisseurs may choose Jeni’s or Sarabha’s, I see only one local establishment that can deliver excellence on both fronts, and that establishment is The Baked Bear.

Crumbl

Stationed in the heart of Hillsboro, Crumbl is a staple of the first-year experience and life on Commons. Crumbl offers just six cookies on the menu at a time, but options are rotated in and out on a weekly basis. Due to this model, cookies are often very seasonal and highly creative. Their one consistent item is a classic milk chocolate chip cookie: about the size of a Rand cookie, but much thicker and less sweet. Crumbl’s experimental flavors have their fair share of winners and losers, so if you’re looking for consistency, stick with their chocolate chip cookie or maybe try another bakery. If you’re in the mood to take a risk and sample a number of truly unique cookies, then Crumbl is the place for you. Any chocolate cookie, such as the seasonal “Pumpkin Brownie” currently available, is usually a safe and delicious treat. 

Baked on 8th

Baked on 8th is currently undergoing renovations, but they run a very smooth order-for-pickup operation nonetheless. Of all the bakeries on this list, Baked on 8th is the only one that specializes in cakes specifically. They offer masterfully made, beautiful cakes that can range from six inches to 10 inches across. My personal favorite is the Birthday Confetti Cake. Additionally, Baked on 8th serves customizable iced cookies, seasonal pies and classic cookies with their own unique twists, such as the “Milk’s Favorite Cookie,” which features chunks of Oreo. Baked on 8th advertises their very own chocolate chip cookie as “the best in town.” Go see for yourself, but make sure to order ahead, as these treats sell out quickly.

Charlie Pagan
Charlie Pagan, Staff Writer
Charlie Pagan ('25) is majoring in English and minoring in history in the College of Arts and Science. When not writing for The Hustler, he can be found reading in Central Library or spending time with friends. You can reach him at [email protected].