Plan your homecoming weekend: 11/3-11/5

Whether you’re a student or an alum, homecoming weekend is sure to be full of tailgates, free swag and — of course — the Homecoming football game!
Anseley Philippe
Vanderbilt football plays Wake Forest, as photographed on Oct. 10, 2022. (Hustler Multimedia/Anseley Philippe)

Are you ready for Homecoming weekend but can’t seem to keep track of all of the events happening on or around campus? I’ve compiled a list of some of the events happening this weekend for both students and alums so you don’t miss out on anything. 

Sports 

Get excited for what should be the best football game of the season. Throw on your black and gold and think of your best chants as the community joins together to cheer on Vanderbilt! 

What: Vanderbilt vs. Auburn Club Hockey

When: Friday, Nov. 3, 7:30 – 10:00 p.m. CDT 

Where: Ford Ice Center: Bellevue, Tenn.

Who: Vanderbilt Club Hockey

Why: If you want another sporting event besides the football game to line your weekend itinerary, start off Friday night with a trip to Vanderbilt’s hockey match.

What: Vanderbilt vs. Auburn Homecoming Football Game 

When: Saturday, Nov. 4, 3 p.m. CDT 

Where: FirstBank Stadium 

Who: Vanderbilt Football 

Why: Football games on homecoming weekend really don’t need an explanation — this game is the main event. If you need an extra reason to go, Outstanding Senior will be announced and you’re bound to see people from this weekend’s reunion. 

Social 

It wouldn’t truly be a Vanderbilt weekend if there weren’t a ton of social gatherings, but we take it up a notch for Homecoming weekend!

What: Falafel at Midday

When: Friday, Nov. 3, 3 – 5 p.m. CDT 

Where: Ben Schulman Center for Jewish Life 

Who: Hillel and Dores for Israel 

Why: Celebrate the 18th anniversary of Falafel at Midday on campus with free falafel and crewnecks, as well as de-stress activities following the school week. 

What: Homecoming Block Party

When: Friday, Nov. 3, 7 – 10 p.m. CDT 

Where: Kensington Place 

Who: VPB’s Homecoming Committee 

Why: For all of the people scouting out the free foods and items this weekend, the block party has the perfect mixture of free food, games and merchandise. 

What: Homecoming Tailgate

When: Saturday, Nov. 4, 12 – 2 p.m. CDT

Where: Greek Row 

Who: IFC Fraternities

Why: What would a homecoming football game be without the pre-game tailgate? Join students and members of the community for festivities before the game to truly get the right energy set for the day. 

What: Fanatics and VSG Athletics Committee Homecoming Tailgate 

When: Saturday, Nov. 4, 12 – 2 p.m. CDT 

Where: Kensington Place 

Who: VPB Fanatics and VSG Athletics Committee 

Why: Do you like Chick-fil-A? Would you wear a trucker hat? If you answered yes to either of these questions, you should stop by this star tailgate and get yourself some of both (for free of course).

Educational

Get ready to chat with professors and have all of your questions answered this weekend with some educational events. 

What: Fireside Chat: Dr. El-Sourady and Dr. Peachey 

When: Friday, Nov. 3, 12 – 1 p.m. CDT

Where: Eskind Biomedical Library 323 

Who: FAA Dr. El-Sourady and Dr. Peachey

Why: If you’re interested in careers within IM, pediatrics or palliative care, having a free lunch and asking medical career questions is the perfect lunchtime activity for you. 

What: 2023 Vanderbilt Naval ROTC National Security Symposium

When: Friday, Nov. 3, 3 – 5 p.m. CDT 

Where: Sarratt Cinema, 2302 Vanderbilt Place 

Who: Vanderbilt NROTC

Why: Are you interested in ROTC or national security? Retired Gen. Richard Clarke will give his perspective of being a former commander of the U.S. Special Operations Command and the role of special forces in national security. 

What: Executive MBA Preview Day

When: Saturday, Nov. 4, 12 – 3 p.m. CDT

Where: Owen Graduate School of Management 

Who: Vanderbilt Executive MBA Program

Why: If you are considering this advanced degree, or you are just curious, this preview will allow you to hear from faculty that teach in this program, attend a sample class and talk to current students.

Recreation and Wellness 

As we end a round of midterms and start preparing for the next, make sure you take some time this weekend to relax and take a moment away from the computer! 

What: Caving at Tumbling Rock

When: Friday, Nov. 3, 4:30 p.m. CDT – Sunday, Nov. 5, 5:30 p.m. CDT

Where: Tumbling Rock 

Who: Wilskills

Why: Looking for an alternative to Homecoming weekend? Take off to Tumbling Rock with Wilskills this weekend for some caving adventures. 

What: Friday Yoga

When: Friday, Nov. 3, 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. CDT

Where: Mediation Room in the Center for Student Wellbeing

Who: Instructor Yangyang Chen

Why: Feeling like you need to de-stress after a long week in preparation for Homecoming weekend activities? Join a certified yoga instructor for an hour of yoga with no experience and no equipment. 

What: Rholl Bounce

When: Friday, Nov. 3, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. CDT

Where: Rivergate Skate Center

Who:  Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., Sigma Delta Chapter

Why: If you’re looking for a fun and energetic way to end your work week, you can join the Sigma Delta Chapter for their first-ever Skate Night! 

Undergraduate Reunion 

If you’re an undergraduate alumnus from a class ending in -3 or -8, you are invited to attend this year’s reunion hosted by Vanderbilt’s reunion office.

What: Morning Walking Tours

When: Friday, Nov. 3, 9 a.m. CDT 

Where: Various Locations

Who: Architect James Moore, University archivist Kathy Smith or AmbassaDores tour guides

Why: If you want to learn more about Vanderbilt’s architecture, history or campus, Vanderbilt’s reunion office has arranged walking tours for several different interests. 

What: AVBA Mixer

When: Friday, Nov. 3, 4:30 – 7 p.m. CDT 

Where: Black Cultural Center Courtyard

Who: Black Cultural Center

Why: Wondering how to take the opportunity to reconnect with peers? The Association of Vanderbilt Black Alumni is holding a mixer with provided food that might be your perfect opportunity. 

What: Quinq Brunch and 50th Reunion Induction

When: Sunday, Nov. 5, 10 p.m. CDT

Where: Symphony Ballroom in Loews Vanderbilt Hotel

Who: Hosted by Chancellor Diermeier

Why: There is no greater way to end a reunion than by registering to listen to the Chancellor while also meeting up with old friends for brunch.