Pandemonium in Panama City Beach: Men’s Golf wins Watersound Invitational

Vanderbilt Men’s Golf won the Watersound Invitational in dramatic fashion in Panama City Beach, Florida.
Vanderbilt Men’s Golf captured their third straight team championship at the Watersound Invitational from Feb. 19-21, 2023 (Vanderbilt Athletics).

The Vanderbilt Commodores Men’s Golf team played in a 54-hole, 3-day tournament at the Watersound Invitational in Panama City Beach, Florida, from Feb. 19-21. After a weekend of fierce competition, the Commodores emerged victorious and won the tournament, shooting 38-under.

“My goodness, what a finish!” Vanderbilt head coach Scott Limbaugh said. “We are just so proud of how our boys battled until the end, dug deep, and found a way to get the job done. Obviously, Georgia Tech played awesome today and we certainly take our hat’s off to them.” 

Vanderbilt trailed behind the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets for most of the third round. The Yellow Jackets were cruising through with a 21 under final round and led for most of the day.

That changed though on hole 17 when Cole Sherwood made an eagle to give Vanderbilt the lead that it would not relinquish.

The Commodores ended up shooting 38-under as a 6-man team for the whole tournament defeating the Yellow Jackets by one stroke. 

Individually, Sherwood finished in 4th place shooting 12-under, while Gordon Sargent shot came in second place. Sargent shot a 66 on the final day to give the Commodores the best performance of the day.

Frederick Kjettoup of Florida State took home the individual win shooting 18 under. 

Other Commodores who performed included Matthew Riedel in 8th at 9-under, Wells Williams at 4-under in 14th and Reid Davenport who came in 18th.

“Cole made 25-foot putts on the final two holes to get the team win,” Limbaugh said. “His ability to lock in on those moments really says a lot about who he is. Gordon played really well today and continues to play at an extremely high level. Matthew does so many good things in his game, works hard and continues to lift our team up with his play.”

Vanderbilt travels to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico next where they will compete in the Cabo Collegiate from March 5-7.