REVIEW: Nomnivore Sushi Et Cetera

Sitting in the same spot that once housed Funk Seoul Brother and GoGo Sushi, Nomnivore is the newest sushi stop on the block. Like its predecessors, Nomnivore serves a variety of maki (rolled sushi), poke and other dishes of the Pacific. Although Nomnivore suffers from inconsistent quality, its diverse menu makes it a solid choice for adventurous foodies.

Nashvegas roll with milk tea

Walking in the door, one notices a spacious interior. A long table in the middle of the eating area allows for both groups and couples. Around the table are two counters, great for those who want to look at either the hanging abstract paintings or the chefs preparing the dishes right before the customers’ eyes. The restaurant’s minimalist decor is a far cry from the loud Korean street art that previously lined the walls.

From the time the customer orders their food, the restaurant’s excellent service shines. Chefs and cashiers work to remember customers’ names. Thet Tint, the owner and a Vanderbilt ‘06 graduate with a major in molecular biology, is almost always somewhere in sight, spreading his infectious grin.

The key to Nomnivore’s success is its culinary diversity. The options are vast, ranging from ramen and poke to summer rolls and futomaki. Because of this variety, customers can come multiple times a week and constantly try something new. The staff is eager to recommend their personal favorites. Some standout options are the Nashvegas roll, a quirky creation that features bacon, shrimp and cream cheese, and the Uber-Cali, a sushi classic with an extra kick. I did not try any of the vegetarian options, but the menu accommodates a variety of dietary preferences.

Salmon poke bowl

Within the restaurant’s vast menu, however, comes inconsistent quality. Some dishes, like the previously mentioned Nashvegas, are treats for both the eyes and the palette. The quality of other dishes, like the spicy tuna roll and Char Siu ramen, range from subpar to poor. For Nomnivore, being adventurous is not without its risks, especially because of the steep price ranging between $7 to $13 per roll. Customers with big appetites may also come away disappointed due to smaller serving sizes. Whether it’s because of high rent costs or the price of ingredients, this restaurant squeezes the average student’s wallet.  

With a clean décor, great service and a diverse menu, Nomnivore is in many ways a foodie’s dream. That being said, the high price tags on some of the dishes and a few culinary missteps make it a tough sell to those seeking to experiment.

With all this in mind, I give Nomnivore 4/5 stars. There’s great food on the menu, but some dishes are better than others. If you luck out, though, you may just find your next favorite treat.