Breaking: Kumar Rocker doesn’t sign with Mets, will still forgo his collegiate eligibility

The 10th overall pick in the 2021 MLB Draft did not sign with the New York Mets by Sunday’s signing deadline and will now mull his future.
Kumar Rocker did not sign with the Mets by Sunday’s signing deadline. (Vanderbilt Athletics).

After being selected 10th overall by the New York Mets in the 2021 MLB Draft on July 11, Vanderbilt ace Kumar Rocker did not sign an MLB contract by Sunday’s 5 p.m. EST deadline. According to ESPN’s Jeff Passan, Rocker will still forgo his collegiate eligibility and pursue professional options.

MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo is reporting that Rocker was not even offered a contract by the Mets, a byproduct of him not enrolling in the MLB’s medical information-sharing program that occurs before the draft. Per MLB rules, because Rocker did not release medical information to teams through this program, the Mets were not mandated to offer him a contract. If he did partake in the program, the Mets would have had to offer him at least 40% of his pick’s slotted value.

Much has been made of the righty’s enormous workload at Vanderbilt. He was formerly a projected top-five pick and many attribute his slipping in the draft to the toll that has already been put on his body. The Georgia native tossed over 236 innings in three years at Vanderbilt, but still boasted a 2.89 ERA while striking out 321 hitters in the process.

Rocker’s agent Scott Boras released a statement Sunday to Passan, explaining that no injuries to Rocker’s shoulder or elbow have been found.

“Kumar Rocker is healthy according to independent medical review by multiple prominent baseball orthopedic surgeons,” Boras’ statement to Passan explained. “Kumar requires no medical attention and will continue to pitch in the regular course as he prepares to begin his professional career.”

Because Rocker did not sign, the Mets will receive the 11th pick in the 2022 draft as compensation and Rocker will have to carve out his own path until next year’s MLB Draft. Passan has reported that Rocker will not return to Vanderbilt for his senior season and instead will pursue a professional career.

Five of Vanderbilt’s other six 2021 draftees—Jack Leiter (Texas Rangers), CJ Rodriguez (Oakland Athletics), Luke Murphy (Los Angeles Angels), Hugh Fisher (Arizona Diamondbacks), and Jayson Gonzalez (Chicago White Sox)—signed their professional contracts in advance of Sunday’s deadline. Dominic Keegan (New York Yankees) did not sign a contract and will return to Vanderbilt for his senior season.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Justin Hershey, Former Sports Editor
Justin Hershey ('22) was Sports Editor for The Vanderbilt Hustler. He has been on staff since freshman year, previously serving as a Staff Writer, Deputy Sports Editor and Lead Sports Analyst. He majored in human and organizational development with minors in business and economics. In addition to writing, he hosts The Hustler Sports 30 Podcast, enjoys playing golf and is waiting for his hometown Philadelphia 76ers to complete The Process. For tips and comments, feel free to reach out to: [email protected]