2021 MLB Draft: Dominic Keegan drafted by the New York Yankees in 19th round

First baseman Dominic Keegan becomes the third Vanderbilt hitter drafted in 2021 after a stellar junior season.
Vanderbilt infielder Dominic Keegan stomps home plate after a home run against Kentucky on May 20, 2022. (Vanderbilt Athletics)

Vanderbilt first baseman Dominic Keegan was drafted by the New York Yankees with the 573rd overall pick in the 19th round of the 2021 MLB Draft. Keegan was the seventh Commodore selected in the 2021 draft. The most outstanding player of the 2021 Nashville regional was the third Commodore hitter selected, joining fellow VandyBoys CJ Rodriguez and Jayson Gonzalez.

A former Virginia Tech commit, Keegan came to Vanderbilt as a first base and catching prospect. Keegan was one of the few Commodores who was with the team in Omaha in both 2019 and 2021. The Massachusetts native cracked the starting lineup at the beginning of his sophomore season, which was shortened due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a junior, Keegan played in 60 games and hit .345 (first on the team) with 15 home runs and 57 RBIs, while primarily batting third in the lineup. 

Perhaps the defining moment of Keegan’s career was a walk-off single to beat Ole Miss in a dramatic, come-from-behind SEC Tournament win in 2021.

However, instead of entering the Yankees farm system, it appears that Keegan will return to Vanderbilt for his senior season. Reports from D1Baseball indicated on Monday night that Keegan could return and that news is official according to the Boston Herald.

Stay tuned to The Vanderbilt Hustler Sports section on Twitter for 2021 MLB Draft news.