Plan Your Week 12/11-12/16

While finals week is arguably one of the most stressful weeks of the year, it doesn’t have to be all fear and anxiety. Pay attention to all the events on campus for fun, relaxation and holiday spirit!
Payton Ohler
Students lounge on the lawn outside of Buttrick, as photographed on Oct. 12, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Payton Ohler)

There are many opportunities this week to take your mind off your impending final exams. Vanderbilt is offering everything from taekwondo to Christmas caroling to hot chocolate, and Nashville has many seasonal activities as well. 

Finish on a high note, and leave school excited for the holidays!

Recreation and wellness

Give your brain a rest during this stressful time, and keep your body moving!

What: Hand-building and Painting Sessions!

When: Dec. 13, 7:30 p.m. CST

Where: Rand 308

Who: Ceramics Club

Why: Burn off some steam and get your hands away from your keyboard and onto the pottery wheel!

What: SMC Volunteering

When: Dec. 13, 5 p.m. CST

Where: Dismas House

Who: VUSM Social Mission Committee

Why: Attend a 30-minute health seminar to understand more about healthy habits relating to exercise and mental health in order to increase access to health education among formerly incarcerated individuals.

Social

Don’t isolate yourself in your room last minute cramming for exams that await you. This is your last week to be with your Vanderbilt friends before everyone parts ways, so make the most of it!

What: Caroling on the Wards

When: Dec. 11, 5 p.m. CST

Where: Light Hall 208

Who: VUSM Music in Medicine

Why: Get in the holiday spirit by joining other Vanderbilt students in singing for patients and staff at the VUMC adult hospital.

What: Hot Cocoa Open House

When: Dec. 11, 12 p.m. CST

Where: Margaret Cunninggim Women’s Center

Who: The Women’s Center

Why: Begin saying your goodbyes to friends over a steaming cup of hot chocolate.

Educational

Reserve your mental space for finals, but there are other opportunities to learn with a lot less pressure this week.

What: Warm up your resume: Hot chocolate edition

When: Dec. 11, 12 p.m. CST 

Where: Career Center Lobby – Student Life Center

Who: Career Center

Why: Winter break may be a great time to start applying to summer internships, so make sure that your resume is in tip-top shape. 

What: Understanding self & others

When: Dec. 14, 3:30 p.m. CST

Where: University Counseling Center 

Who: University Counseling Center and Student Care Network

Why: Finals are a stressful time: At this workshop, students will learn how to manage academic and social pressures.

Around Nashville

The holidays are upon us — and Music City is ready to celebrate!

What: Zoolumination

When: 12/11-1/7, 5-9 p.m.

Where: Nashville Zoo

Why: Don’t miss out on the Zoo’s festive North Pole Village armed with holiday lights and huge silk lanterns!

What: 9 ¾ Holiday Pop-Up

When: 12/11-12/31, 1-10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, 1-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday

Where: The Union Station Nashville Yards

Why: If Harry Potter gets you in the holiday spirit, this decked-out pop-up restaurant is a must-visit! Come for a Hogwarts-themed meal or, for those over 21, enjoy a butterbeer by the fire.