Plan your week: 9/18-9/23

Whether you’re looking to unwind with faith-based journaling or to explore the local music scene, Vanderbilt’s got just the thing for you this week.
Abby Hoelscher
Student studies in the sun on Library Lawn, as photographed on Sept. 7, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Abby Hoelscher)

A wind symphony, Coffeehouse performance and football game are all on the schedule on Vanderbilt’s campus in the coming days. Check out our comprehensive weekly outlook to plan your upcoming week on campus. 

Educational & Information Sessions

Open the doors to these opportunities in the coming days to expand your horizons and learn more about the organizations and performances on campus.

What: Anchorthon info session

When: Sept. 19, 6 p.m. CDT

Where: Buttrick 202

Who: Anchorthon

Why: Anchorthon, formerly known as Vanderbilt Dance Marathon, is an organization devoted to raising awareness about pediatric health and fundraising for Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at VUMC.

What: Vanderbilt Pre-Law society info session!

When: Sept. 20, 4 p.m. CDT

Where: Buttrick 202

Who: Vanderbilt Pre-Law Society

Why: From aspiring lawyers to speeding ticket apologists, the info session is the first place to meet with the Vanderbilt Pre-Law Society. Meet like-minded students and legal professionals this Wednesday in Buttrick to get started!

What: Vanderbilt Wind Symphony: “Symphonic Songs”

When: Sept. 22, 8 p.m. CDT

Where: Ingram Hall

Who: Blair School of Music

Why: Thomas Verrier conducts “Autumn Soliloquy” by James Barnes with the Vanderbilt Wind Symphony, featuring Blair associate professor of oboe Jared Hauser. 

Recreation and wellness

Now that class is back on schedule after the first round of fall exams, find an activity here to loosen up both your brain and body.

What: Untangle: Trauma sensitive expressive arts group

When: Sept. 18, 3 p.m. CDT

Where: University Counseling Center

Who: University Counseling Center & Student Care Network

Why: Need a calm, relaxing environment to kick off your week? Untangle your stress from your feelings with visual art, movement, music and storytelling at the UCC.

What: Tango class and practice

When: Sept. 18, 7 p.m. CDT

Where: Rand Dining Hall

Who: Vanderbilt Tango Club

Why: Bring socks and a smile to learn to dance the Argentine tango! All levels of experience are welcome.

What: Work-life workshops: Relax, relate, release: Engaging your breath and mindfulness

When: Sept. 19, 12 p.m. CDT

Where: Sarratt 325/327

Who: Margaret Cuninggim Women’s Center

Why: Meet with students and faculty alike over lunch to learn about how to create a meaningful work-life balance.

Sports

Throw on your black and gold to root for Vanderbilt this season.

What: Vanderbilt Soccer vs. Ole Miss

When: Sept. 21, 6 p.m. CDT

Where: Vanderbilt Soccer Complex

Who: Vanderbilt Soccer Team

Why: After their first loss of the season last Friday, our Vanderbilt soccer stars are ready to bounce back against the University of Mississippi.

What: Vanderbilt Club Ice Hockey vs. MTSU

When: Sept. 22, 7:30 p.m. CDT

Where: Ford Ice Center Bellevue

Who: Vanderbilt Ice Hockey

Why: Come cheer on your favorite Commodores on ice as they play Middle Tennessee State University on Friday night.

What: Vanderbilt Football vs. Kentucky

When: Sept. 23, 11 a.m. CDT

Where: FirstBank Stadium

Who: Vanderbilt Football Team

Why: Ready for gameday to be back at home? Meet us at FirstBank as Vanderbilt faces the University of Kentucky!

Social

Interested in meeting others and attending upcoming events with free food and/or Vanderbilt swag? You’ve come to the right place.

What: Diverse ‘Dores Day 2023

When: Sept. 20, 11 a.m. CDT

Where/Who: Black Cultural Center, Center for Spiritual and Religious Life, Center for Student Wellbeing, International Student and Scholar Services, LGBTQI Life, Project Safe, Student Center for Social Justice & Identity and Margaret Cuninggim Women’s Center

Why: Looking to make connections with students of similar backgrounds? Visit participating offices throughout the day on Wednesday to explore support systems and services available for Vanderbilt’s diverse student population.

What: Vandy Wesley dinner & discussion

When: Sept. 20, 6 p.m. CDT

Where: Center for Spiritual and Religious Life, Office of the University Chaplain

Who: Wesley Fellowship

Why: Share what’s on your mind along with a meal! Student leaders provide written lessons and prompts to discuss personal faith journeys over dinner every Wednesday.

What: A Warm McWelcome Coffeehouse

When: Sept. 22, 8 p.m. CDT

Where: McGill TV Lounge

Who: McGill Project

Why: The McGill Project presents the first Coffeehouse of the fall semester, including free donuts, residential performances and new friends in the making.

In Nashville

Hop on the VandyVan or put on those walking shoes if you’re looking to explore the city with these exciting activities in the next few days.

What: Monday Trivia Night

When: Sept. 19, 6:30 p.m. CDT

Where: Assembly Food Hall

Who: Yazoo

Why: Start your week off right by heading over to Assembly Food Hall to grab dinner and test your trivia skills! All ages are welcome, and seating is first come, first served.

What: Musician’s Corner Concert Series

When: Sept. 22, 3 p.m. CDT

Where: Centennial Park

Who: Esther Rose, Rodney Crowell Trio, Emily Nenni, Buddy Miller, North Mississippi Allstars, The Secret Sisters & The Wild Feathers (in partnership with AMERICANAFEST® & New West Records)

Why: Stroll over to Centennial Park after class on Friday to hear live music from an incredible lineup of local artists for FREE!

What: Summer Shakespeare 2023: Much Ado About Nothing

When: Sept. 21-24, 7 p.m. CDT

Where: The Yard at ONEC1TY

Who: The Nashville Shakespeare Festival

Why: Wherefore art thou, Shakespeare lovers? “Much Ado About Nothing” may be calling your name if you have an interest in seeing a ‘70s rendition of a classic play on a nice Nashville night.