Cross Country: Shaky start at Belmont Opener

After coming in first and second a year prior, both the women’s and men’s teams took a step back by finishing second and third, respectively.
Julia Rosenberg finished eight at the 2023 Belmont Opener, as photographed on Sept. 1, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Barrie Barto).

Vanderbilt Cross Country began the 2023 season on Friday with a trip to nearby Percy Warner Park to compete in the Belmont Opener. The regional five-kilometer event — where the women’s team finished first and the men in second last season — pitted the Commodores against Bellarmine, Belmont, Dalton State, Lipscomb, Murray State, Presbyterian, Southern Illinois, Tennessee State, Trevecca Nazarene, Western Kentucky and West Georgia.

After winning the event last season, the women’s team regressed to second place behind host Belmont — whose first five runners finished before Vanderbilt’s leader Ella Lambert crossed the finish line. After Lambert did so at 18 minutes,13.5 seconds in seventh place overall, Julia Rosenberg was right behind her at 18:15.6. Lainey Phelps came in at 18:24.2 to secure ninth place while Ashlee Gallegos (18:32.7) and freshman Catherine Sommerfield (18:36) finished in 11th and 15th, respectively.

The men’s team also suffered a performance dropoff this season as they finished in third place behind Bellarmine and Belmont. In fact, nine Bellarmine players crossed the finish line in the five-kilometer race before any Vanderbilt player — leading to an average time a full 40 seconds better than the Commodores.

The first Vanderbilt player to finish was freshman Brady Bliven (15:46.4) at 18th overall. Then came Andrew Pahnke (15:50.6) followed shortly thereafter by freshman Jackson Scruggs (15:54.4) and Dylan Ballard (15:56.1). They each finished 23rd, 25th and 27th overall, respectively. The next Commodore was Zach Hodges who came in 33rd with a time of 16:06.8.

Both teams will look to bounce back in two weeks at the Mountain Dew Invitational hosted by the University of Florida on Sept. 15. The event will also serve as a preview of the NCAA South Regional site and competitive field.

Women’s Top Five Finishers:

Lambert 18:13.5 (7th)

Rosenberg 18:15.6 (8th)

Phelps 18:24.2 (9th)

Gallegos 18:32.7 (11th)

Sommerfeld 18:36 (15th)

Men’s Top Five Finishers:

Bliven 15:46.4 (18th)

Pahnke 15:50.6 (23)

Scruggs 15:54.4 (25th)

Ballard 15:56.1 (27th)

Hodges 16:06.8 (33rd)