Trick-or-treat yourself to these seven creative costume ideas

These Halloween outfit ideas are to die for this Oct. 31.
costume
Some fun ideas to spice up your costume this year. (Hustler Multimedia/Emery Little)

Yes folks, it is officially that time of year again: spooky season (boo!). With Halloweekend on the horizon, there’s no better way to kick off the creepiest, most sugar-filled time of the year with a list of creative Halloween outfits to put some spice in your pumpkin spice lattes. 

Good Ole’ Gender-Benders

Want to go as a character from your favorite TV-show but worried it’s too basic? Try the costume on, gender-bender style. Add a non-traditional twist to the classic red-lipped Joker costume and his eccentric significant other, Harley Quinn, for example. Flipping the narrative is a classic way to add a little pumpkin spice to your Halloween costume, either as a solo act or a group.

Squid Game

Since its premiere on Netflix this past September, the show has garnered significant popularity, ranking as the most watched show in all of Netflix’s history in 94 countries. As a result, people worldwide are dressing up as the iconic characters and guards in the show. Join the bandwagon this year!

Fallen Angels and Reverse Devils

Devils and angels are a very familiar trope in Halloween and have been for decades. But, what if the two were more like each other than they thought? This Halloween, dress up as an angel decked in black or a devil dressed in white and decide for yourself: are you the saint or the sinner? Maybe a little bit of both?

Marvel Fear Squad

This year marked the premiere of Marvel’s first conditional superhero show “What If…?” Among the eight episodes released were scenes of the Avengers killed in various scenarios. Some were even zombified. Though the Marvel squad is no novel Halloween costume idea, up the fear factor with some fake blood (and great makeup) by dressing up as the “What If…?” versions of the characters.

Disney Bewitched

Bippity Boppity BOO! Add a spook-tacular spin on your favorite childhood movies. What if Belle was mauled by the Beast? What if Rapunzel never let down her hair? Twisted versions of everyone’s beloved movies make for an unexpected yet recognizable Halloween costume. 

Mythical Animals

Forget about “I’m a mouse, duh” and the age-old quirky cat costume. Why not a hybrid of both? Try your hand at hybrid or mythical animal costumes this Halloween such as a dragon, phoenix or sphinx. For the extra mile, draw some scratch marks or blood stains on your costume!

Video Game Mania

Much like with the Disney Bewitched idea, try on a video game character with a dark twist for size. Maybe Mario got hit on his way to the racetrack, or maybe Sonic rolled a little too far off the road. Add a deadly twist for this spooky night.

That’s about the end of our list for now. Have a freaky Halloween everyone, and remember, scarers work best in the dark.