$600 million residential college project to be completed by 2023

By Vanderbilt’s 150th anniversary in 2023, four new residential options will be built on West End Avenue, where the Carmichael Towers currently stand. At $600 million, the project will be the most expensive capital project the university has ever undertaken. The project is part of the school’s ongoing FutureVU land use planning initiative, and will be completed in tandem with a number of other beautification efforts in the West End neighborhood.

The first of the four new halls, E. Bronson Ingram, will open in the fall. Construction on the second of the four began in December, when crews broke ground at the site of the old Tarpley building, on the corner of 25th Ave. and West End Ave. The hall will feature a 20-story gothic style tower. That hall and tower will be completed by 2020, followed by two more in 2022 and 2023.

The halls and tower will include interior courtyards, dance practice rooms, an art gallery, a library, great rooms and dining facilities. Additionally, the university plans to reserve space in the yet unnamed tower for apartments for visiting distinguished scholars and other university guests.

Students will have the opportunity to live in residential colleges from their sophomore year on. Currently, Warren and Moore colleges are the only active residential college systems. Residential colleges build on the freshman year Commons experience in their mission to build diverse communities within the living spaces.

“In a time when long-distance learning and online courses make getting a degree quicker and easier, Vanderbilt is choosing to invest deeply and broadly in an intensive, in-person experience,” Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos said in a press release. “Residential colleges are places of friendship, places of community, places of discovery, places of learning and places of human transformation.”

Residential college systems are less popular in the United States, with only a few universities like Harvard and Yale providing four year residential college options. Vanderbilt is, at the moment, the only American university undertaking a residential college hall project of this scale and scope.

Sam Zern
Sam Zern, Former Managing Editor

Sam Zern ('20) has been a member of The Vanderbilt Hustler since her freshman year, first as a staff writer and shortly after as assistant campus editor. She went on to be campus editor and, later, editor in chief. In her senior year at Vanderbilt, Sam was managing editor and streamlined recruitment and training processes.

In her time as a member of the editorial board, she has prioritized diversity and breadth in coverage, wanting to make sure as much of Vanderbilt as possible is represented in the paper. Outside of The Hustler, she studies education policy and sociology and has worked as a journalist for local publications in Austin and Nashville. She plans to pursue a career in journalism (and will gladly take any and all advice!)

Connect with Sam: [email protected] Personal website Twitter LinkedIn

F
Frustrated Alumni (class of '38)

They got jipped…

Miransky

Happy memories of living in Carmichael Towers 1973-74 and 1975-76. But it’s time for them to go.

Anonymous

amazing! well-written and delightful