All Time Low to play Marathon Music Works Aug. 22

2000s rock/pop punk band All Time Low returns to the stage with their 2020 album “Wake Up, Sunshine.”

We did it, everyone. We survived nearly a year and half with no concerts or music events of any kind. But that pain is finally coming to an end: live music is BACK in Music City! No one could be happier about this return than us, the Life section—after all, live shows and events make up practically half our content. So get hyped, guys. This fall marks a long-awaited return to form: for you, for us and for live music everywhere.

All Time Low released “Wake Up, Sunshine” back in 2020 and will finally perform songs from the album in their fall tour.

Wake up, sunshines! Rock band All Time Low is next up in our fall concert preview series, returning to Nashville to perform their album “Wake Up, Sunshine” on August 22. The album, released back in 2020, is finally making its way to live audiences, and it’s about time.

After taking a short break from producing songs to reflect on where they wanted to take their music, All Time Low reunited for this new album, which pulses with just as much passion as their first album from all the way back in the past—or, 2003. The result? Absolute headbangers rife with that same emo nostalgia.

I can’t help but close my eyes and fully appreciate the lyrics when I listen to this album, whose rock/pop-punk vibe is not only upbeat but also relatable. “Some Kind of Disaster,” the first song on the album, reflects exactly this energy. With lyrics like, “I’m a liar, I’m a cynic,” this song feels so raw, which truly connects with listeners. 

The most well-known song on the album is, of course, “Monsters (feat. blackbear),” which spent 17 weeks on the top of Billboard’s Alternative Airplay Chart. It’s the perfect jam for a late-night car ride with friends, as the mellow, dark verses contrast beautifully with the electric chorus to create an incredibly catchy song. The middle section features a rap verse so captivating that I’m compelled to rap along—or at least to try. After the song’s huge success, the band released another version of the song featuring Demi Lovato.

Other notable tracks include “Sleeping In” (which I’m sure every college student can relate to) and “Getaway Green,” which gives the green light for listeners to chase their dreams. While every song on the album has its own unique sound and meaning, they all flow together beautifully, inspiring listeners to get excited about life.

Check out the music video for “Monsters (feat. Demi Lovato and blackbear)” on YouTube, or listen to the full album on Spotify. Buy tickets to their show here (sold out).  The Maine and Grayscale to open.