BREAKING: Students forced to exit Kirkland Hall, three arrested and 16 suspended

Students were escorted out under the guise of being arrested at approximately 6:34 a.m. CDT, sit-in to continue on steps of Kirkland.
Student protestors remain at steps of Kirkland Hall after sit-in broken up inside building (Hustler Multimedia/Josh Rehders).

Around 21.5 hours after it began, the sit-in inside Kirkland Hall over students’ ability to vote on the VSG BDS amendment ended at approximately 6:34 a.m. CDT. Two students left at various times last night due to medical or family emergencies, while the remaining 25 students forcibly left — with three being arrested — this morning after being woken up and escorted out by VUPD officers. 

The rundown:

• All 27 protesting students have left Kirkland Hall. Two left during the night due to medical emergencies and the rest were escorted out by VUPD at approximately 6:34 a.m. CDT. Three students were arrested, but one student had their charges dropped.
  • Last night, one student protesting outside was arrested after officers saw a shattered window at the building. Another student protesting inside, who had not been suspended, left due to a family emergency.
  • Students plan to continue protesting outside Kirkland until their demands are met.
  • At 9 a.m. CDT on March 26, a group of 27 undergraduate protestors from the Vanderbilt Divest Coalition rushed into Kirkland Hall. The students are calling for the administration to allow the student body to vote on an amendment to the VSG Constitution that would prevent VSG funds from being used on the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement’s boycott targets.

UPDATED: March 27, 2024, 8:21 a.m. CDT

The students who were arrested this morning were taken to the Downtown Detention Center by MNDP, according to police records. Three students — senior Devron Burks, first-year Jack Petocz and sophomore Samuel Schulman — were arrested for assault and bodily injury to another, which is classified as a misdemeanor. Petocz is being held at a $2,000 bond, while Schulman and Burks are being held at a $1,000 bond. VDC is asking supporters to donate to their bail fund.

The Hustler reviewed the video released by Vanderbilt administration of students rushing into Kirkland Hall and identified the three students arrested. Schulman and Burks can be seen at the front of the group walking forward to enter Kirkland Hall as the officer attempts to stop them. Petocz can be seen near the back of the group, and does not appear to touch the officer. The officer can be seen shoving Schulman against the door. 

Schulman told to The Hustler that the officer put his hands on his and Burks’s necks and that neither he nor Burks put their hands on the officer. The Hustler could not verify this claim due to blurring added to the video released by Vanderbilt administration. The university did not immediately respond to The Hustler’s request for the original, unblurred video.

The student who was arrested on the night of March 26 — being kept anonymous for protection from professional retribution — is currently being held in the Downtown Detention Center without bond for 12 hours, which will expire at 1:30 p.m. CDT today. Their charges are unlisted.

March 27, 2024, 7:42 a.m. CDT

In total, 11 of the original 27 protestors inside Kirkland Hall have not received interim suspension notices as of publication. Of the 16 that received interim suspensions, only three were arrested. Protestors being kept anonymous for protection from professional retribution who participated in the sit-in confirmed that the three arrested students were zip-tied when detained by VUPD and taken in a police vehicle to a police precinct off-campus. It is currently unclear if the students were taken to a VUPD or an MNPD vehicle and precinct. 

The protestors state that they are unsure why only three of them were arrested and were originally under the impression that all were going to be arrested for trespassing. Police grabbed the sitting protestors around 5:30 a.m. CDT and told them that they were trespassing. Protesters state that police arrested three students for assault inside and took pictures of everyone’s IDs. In video footage reviewed by The Hustler, officers can be holding the rest of the protestors’ hands behind their backs as they steered them outside. Protesters can be seen asking officers where they will be taken and receiving no response. One student was warned that they could be arrested for “interfering with police business” if they did not leave. 

Student protestors congregate outside Kirkland Hall after those sitting-in inside were forced to leave (Hustler Multimedia/Josh Rehders)

The Hustler and external press were not allowed inside Kirkland Hall for the duration of the sit-in.

In addition to the protestor who voluntarily left the building at around 10:45 p.m. CDT for a family emergency, another student voluntarily left the sit-in at around 2 a.m. CDT to seek medical care. The protestor who was said to have been experiencing symptoms of toxic shock syndrome did not leave until forcibly removed. 

After those who were sitting in left Kirkland Hall, a crowd that has been continuously rallying outside began chanting on the steps of the building at around 7:10 a.m. CDT, stating that they will not leave until their demands are met. A few of those sitting in joined the rally when forcibly removed from the building. 

The Hustler obtained video footage from inside Kirkland Hall taken at 7:44 p.m. CDT on March 26 that depicts Senior Advisor to Student Affairs Randy Tarkington warning students formerly inside Kirkland Hall that not abiding by the policies of interim suspension could affect them in their eventual Student Accountability hearing. Tarkington reports indirectly to Chancellor Daniel Diermeier and said he was tasked with talking to the protestors due to having “a lot of experience with protests.” He claimed he had “no knowledge” of the status of Vanderbilt allowing the VSG BDS referendum and did not agree to protestors’ demands that he send their demands up to other Vanderbilt leaders. 

“I can’t give you a guarantee about what’s going to happen. If I could, I would,” Tarkington said. 

Tarkington emphasized the importance of an unnamed student protestor accessing medical care and food. 

At the time, the students emphasized to Tarkington that they were intent on staying in Kirkland Hall, chanting “We’re not leaving.” Tarkington left the scene during the chants.

This breaking piece will be updated as more information becomes available.

64
Aaditi Lele
Aaditi Lele, Editorial Director
Aaditi Lele ('24) is majoring in political science and climate science with a minor in South Asian Language and Culture in the College of Arts and Science. She previously served as News Editor. Outside of The Hustler, you can find her crocheting, practicing calligraphy or counting down the days until she can see her dog. She can be reached at [email protected].    
Katherine Oung
Katherine Oung, Data Director
Katherine Oung ('25) is majoring in political science and computer science and minoring in data science in the College of Arts and Science. They are from West Palm Beach, Fla., and were previously Deputy News Editor and Managing Editor. Katherine enjoys working on freelance journalism projects and making incredibly specific Spotify playlists. They can be reached at [email protected].
Rachael Perrotta