BREAKING: Divest Coalition protesters sit in at Kirkland Hall, at least seven suspended

The protesters intend to sit in until Vanderbilt allows a VSG BDS referendum vote.
Savannah Walske
Students protest outside Kirkland Hall for a VSG BDS amendment vote, as photographed on March 26, 2024. (Hustler Multimedia/Savannah Walske)

The rundown:

• At 9 a.m. CDT on March 26, a group of 27 undergraduate protestors from the Vanderbilt Divest Coalition rushed into Kirkland Hall. The students are calling for administration to allow the student body to vote on an amendment to the VSG Constitution that would prevent VSG funds from being used on the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement’s boycott targets. As of 9 p.m. CDT, all 27 remain inside and police presence outside the premises have continued.
  • At least sixteen students say they have received “interim suspensions” from the university. At least one student who was not inside received an interim suspension that was overturned. Under suspension, students are prohibited from campus, including in residential halls and classrooms. Returning to campus without approval can result in criminal trespassing charges and subsequent arrest.
  • Nashville Scene reporter Eli Motycka was arrested around 1:30 pm CDT for alleged attempted trespassing. He has since been released, and District Attorney Glenn Funk told the Scene that he will not press charges against Motycka or any reporter “for peacefully doing his or her job.” Motycka has not been charged with a crime.
  • Students inside report “inhumane” treatment, such as being denied the ability to go to the bathroom without being escorted out of the building. Individuals outside are not allowed to bring in food or water for protestors. Students protestors have urinated in bottles instead of leaving and one student removed their tampon within the sit-in due to feeling early symptoms of toxic shock syndrome.
  • At least 50 students have been demonstrating outside Kirkland Hall all day, in support of the students staging the sit-in.
  • Last week, VDC staged a week-long sit-in on Rand Lawn after the university alleged the BDS amendment would be illegal and cancelled it. The referendum was scheduled to go to a vote on March 25 after a petition in its favor gained 600 student signatures.

UPDATE: March 26, 2024, 6:29 p.m. CDT

A group-written statement to The Hustler from the protestors inside Kirkland Hall reads that Vanderbilt’s statement contains misinformation.

“Students were grabbed and assaulted, and defended themselves from CSOs on their way to protest at the Chancellor’s office in an attempt to exercise their fundamental rights to free speech and free expression,” the statement reads.

The statement further claims that Vanderbilt’s stated commitment to freedom of expression falls short given its admitted limits on protesting.

“They are admitting that they do not value protests as a legitimate form of political action, and only permit “protests” as they see fit. This is consistent with their lies about their support for free speech,” the statement reads.

Students affirmed that they will remain in Kirkland Hall until forcibly removed or until their demands are met.

UPDATE: March 26, 2024, 6:06 p.m. CDT

In another statement to The Hustler, the university alleged that students were physical with Vanderbilt employees to gain entry into Kirkland Hall. These staff members were working in Kirkland Hall, despite the university stating it was closed for construction.

“Some students physically assaulted a Community Service Officer to gain entrance and proceeded to push staff members who offered to meet with them,” the statement reads.

In the statement, the university emphasized the centrality of free expression and civil discourse to Vanderbilt. Protest limitations, such as those outlined in maps distributed at today’s protest, were said to be necessary for community safety and the preservation of university operations.

“We, as a matter of policy, define time, place and manner limitations. The safety and well-being of our community is a top priority,” the statement reads. “The university will take action when our policies are violated, the safety of our campus is jeopardized and when people intimidate or injure members of our community.”

The university has not notified the larger Vanderbilt community about anything related to the sit-in or protest but said it will “keep our community informed” with updates.

UPDATE: March 26, 2024, 5:51 p.m. CDT

In a statement to The Hustler, a university representative said Motycka was arrested for repeatedly trying to enter Kirkland Hall, claiming the building was “closed for ongoing construction.” The statement later modifies the status of the building operation, stating that the building is “closed to the public for ongoing construction.” Signs on Kirkland Hall’s doors state that the building is closed for construction and access is prohibited by anyone but those with offices in the building.

The university representative previously told The Hustler that Kirkland Hall was resuming full business operations in mid-February 2024 after renovations, which have been since completed. Vanderbilt employees have been seen leaving the building at the end of the work day. His arrest occurred during business hours.

Motycka denied being warned to leave as the statement says he was.

UPDATE: March 26, 2024, 5:34 p.m. CDT

The Scene reported that Motycka was released and police returned him to campus at around 4 p.m. CDT, after which he promptly left the campus. Nashville District Attorney Glenn Funk told the Scene that he will not press charges against Motycka or any reporter “for peacefully doing his or her job.” Motycka was not charged with a crime due to Judicial Magistrate Timothy Lee of the Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County General Sessions Court not finding probable cause to hear Vanderbilt’s charges against him.

UPDATE: March 26, 2024, 3:48 p.m. CDT

Matt Masters, a coworker of Motycka, said Motycka was taken to Davidson Downtown Detention Center, where he remains.

UPDATE: March 26, 2024, 3:12 p.m. CDT

Another student participating in the sit-in, who is being kept anonymous for protection from professional retribution, said at least seven students participating in the sit-in have been issued interim suspensions due to a “potential violation” of university policy. Another protestor, who is being kept anonymous for protection from professional retribution, was also suspended but did not enter Kirkland Hall. They are the only student who remained outside Kirkland Hall to be suspended.

The Hustler obtained a protestor’s suspension notice, which did not outline the alleged violation. Under suspension, students are prohibited from campus, including in residential halls and classrooms. Returning to campus without approval can result in criminal trespassing charges and subsequent arrest, the letter reads. The suspended students remain on campus in Kirkland Hall. Suspended students may obtain personal items from their dorms with approval from the Office of Student Accountability.

“According to the Vanderbilt University Student Handbook, suspension, pending an investigation and accountability meeting, may be imposed when there is a reason to believe the action is necessary to maintain University functions or to protect the safety of individuals,” the suspension notice reads.

A university representative addresses the protesters at Kirkland Hall, as photographed on March 26, 2024. (Hustler Multimedia/Josh Rehders)
Chief Administrative Officer Mary Helen Davidson addresses the protesters at Kirkland Hall and distributes maps, as photographed on March 26, 2024. (Hustler Multimedia/Josh Rehders)
The map student protestors were given, as photographed on March 26, 2024. (Hustler Multimedia/Josh Rehders)

Students protesting outside received maps from Chief Administrative Officer Mary Helen Davidson at around 1:30 p.m. CDT outlining protest restrictions near Kirkland Hall. They dispersed at around 2:45 p.m. CDT, which protestors said was done out of fear of repercussions from the university.

March 26, 2024, 2:45 p.m. CDT

Twenty-seven Vanderbilt Divest Coalition protesters rushed into Kirkland Hall through the front entrance at around 9 a.m. CDT today and remain inside four hours later amid alleged threats of forcible removal and interim suspension. Protestors told The Hustler that they intend to remain inside until the university allows the student body to vote on an amendment to the VSG Constitution that would prevent VSG funds from being used on the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement’s consumer and organic boycott targets. 

A rally of around 50 students is also occurring outside the entrance to the building, held by supporters of protesters sitting in. The protestors inside and outside Kirkland Hall are chanting lines such as “Diermeier Diermeier, you can’t hide, you’re supporting genocide,” “V-O-T-E,” “All we’re asking for is democracy,” “Dictator Diermeier” and “Diermeier, you’re a liar, you set free speech on fire.”

A student protester being kept anonymous for protection from professional retribution told The Hustler that forcible removal was threatened to the protestors by VUPD at around 11:15 a.m. CDT if they did not exit the building and end the sit-in within 15 minutes. The student also said they were threatened with interim suspension by VUPD if they failed to leave. VUPD officers are guarding all doors of Kirkland Hall.

A university representative denied The Hustler’s request to allow student reporters and photographers into Kirkland Hall, claiming that it is still closed due to construction. The university previously told The Hustler that this work was done in February. Furthermore, on March 19, The Hustler interviewed Chancellor Diermeier at Kirkland Hall, and the construction site is listed as complete on the FutureVU website.  

Kirkland Hall houses Vanderbilt administration offices. A university representative previously told The Hustler that, once its renovations were complete, it would be open to Vanderbilt community members “with business in the building.”  

Around 1:30 p.m. CDT, Nashville Scene Reporter Eli Motycka was handcuffed and detained by VUPD for “trespassing” and taken away in a VUPD vehicle. Motycka did not enter the building but spoke to individuals inside it.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

17
Tasfia Alam
Tasfia Alam, Multimedia Copy Editor
Tasfia Alam (‘25) is from Los Angeles and is majoring in neuroscience and political science in the College of Arts and Science. When not writing for The Hustler, she can be found obsessing over a new book, trying to expand her music taste or taking pictures of pretty sunsets. You can reach her at [email protected]
Aaditi Lele
Aaditi Lele, Editorial Director
Aaditi Lele ('24) is majoring in political science and climate science with a minor in South Asian Language and Culture in the College of Arts and Science. She previously served as News Editor. Outside of The Hustler, you can find her crocheting, practicing calligraphy or counting down the days until she can see her dog. She can be reached at [email protected].    
Katherine Oung
Katherine Oung, Data Director
Katherine Oung ('25) is majoring in political science and computer science and minoring in data science in the College of Arts and Science. They are from West Palm Beach, Fla., and were previously Deputy News Editor and Managing Editor. Katherine enjoys working on freelance journalism projects and making incredibly specific Spotify playlists. They can be reached at [email protected].
Rachael Perrotta
Savannah Walske
Savannah Walske, Staff Photographer
Savannah Walske (‘26) is from San Francisco and is double majoring in psychology and Spanish in the College of Arts and Science. When not shooting for The Hustler, you can find her playing guitar, photographing pretty Californian landscapes and obsessing over her dog. You can contact her at [email protected].