All Vanderbilt undergraduate classes to be eligible for pass/fail status

Deans from all undergraduate colleges agree to extend the pass/fail deadline from Jan. 20 to April 10.
Kirkland+Hall.
Kirkland Hall.

Vanderbilt has extended the deadline for pass/fail grading status from Jan 20. to April 10, due to “extraordinary circumstances” surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak, according to a March 17 email for Interim Chancellor Susan Wente.

Most policies regarding pass/fail requirements have been suspended for the spring semester, including restrictions on degree required classes. The email also said that students would receive communication before the April 10 deadline with instructions on switching classes to the pass/fail grading basis.

Vanderbilt student Cameron Sheehy created a petition on March 11 requesting the university allow students to move to the pass/fail grading basis. The petition has 1,285 supporters.

Schools including Massachusetts Institue of Technology (MIT) and Smith College have a mandatory switch to pass/fail, while Grinnell College allowed students to individually decide to switch to pass/fail grading basis.

The full text of the email from Wente follows:

Dear undergraduate students,

In light of the extraordinary circumstances under which you will be completing your spring semester, the deans of the Blair School of Music, the College of Arts and Science, Peabody College of education and human development, and the School of Engineering have agreed to extend the deadline for students to change their enrollments from graded to pass/fail grading basis. To be clear, all undergraduate classes, regardless of prior status, are now eligible for pass/fail grading.

The original deadline of January 20 has been extended to April 10. In addition, most policies that surround pass/fail enrollments have been suspended for the spring 2020 semester to allow classes in any category of degree requirement to be taken pass/fail, even if not typically allowed under normal circumstances.

Prior to the April 10 deadline, undergraduate students will receive a communication with instructions on how to make pass/fail selections if they so desire. There is no need to submit any requests at this time. For more information, please see this FAQ from the Office of the University Registrar.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding as we have navigated these unprecedented events. Please continue to stay informed about the university’s response at vu.edu/coronavirus.

Sincerely,

Susan R. Wente

Interim Chancellor and Provost

Those who believe they may have been exposed to or infected with the novel coronavirus should seek medical care right away. Before you go to a clinic, doctor’s office or emergency room, call ahead and tell them about your recent travel and your symptoms. 

Stay up to date with updates to Vanderbilt’s response to COVID-19 with The Hustler’s live updates.