Vanderbilt travels to Columbia to take on No. 1 South Carolina

The Commodores will aim to earn a statement win against one of the SEC’s premier teams.
Miguel Beristain
Jordyn Oliver goes for a layup, as photographed Jan. 14, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Miguel Beristain)

In their last outing, the Commodores fell flat late against in-state rival Tennessee. For most of the contest, it was a constant exchange of blows, with the lead changing hands frequently until the Lady Volunteers were able to pull away in the final minutes. Vanderbilt moved to 17-3 with the nine-point loss to Tennessee. The Commodores now stand at fourth in the SEC and will look to pull off an upset against the No. 1 South Carolina Gamecocks on Sunday.

With an unblemished record of 18-0, the Gamecocks have continued the excellence that has become the norm under head coach Dawn Staley. Winning by an average scoring margin of 36.8, South Carolina has dominated most of its opposition, knocking off ranked opponents such as No. 9 LSU, No. 15 Notre Dame, No. 16 Utah and No. 20 UNC. Conference play has been no different, with the Gamecocks cruising to wins except the close battle they had with the LSU Tigers. 

South Carolina boasts the No. 4 scoring offense and the No. 7 scoring defense. The Gamecocks are shooting 52.3% from the field and 43.5% from the 3-point line, both marks being the best in the nation. Defensively, South Carolina is a towering stronghold with 8.7 blocks per game while simultaneously holding opponents to 30.2% shooting. Across the board, this team is outstanding in areas.

The danger posed by South Carolina is due to the fact that scoring can come from anywhere. With five different players averaging double-digit points per game, the Gamecocks can attack from any angle and any area on the hardwood. In the painted area, 6’7” senior center Kamilla Cardoso anchors the offense, averaging a double-double on the season with 13.2 points and 10.6 rebounds per game. Beside her, 6’2” forward Chloe Kitts adds extra size and creates a one-two punch in the post. 

On the exterior, the backcourt tandem of point guard Raven Johnson and Oregon transfer guard Te-Hina Paopao fulfill a variety of roles for the Gamecocks exceptionally well. Although Johnson only averages around 9 points per game, her 5.2 assists per game is third in the conference. Paopao is much more oriented to pure offense, being the most efficient shooter in the nation with a 53.6% three point percentage. To complete what appears to be a perfectly balanced lineup, junior Bree Hall plays perfectly in a two-way role, shooting 48.6% from behind the arc and playing quality perimeter defense. 

If the Commodores beat South Carolina it will be an emphatic statement on how far this program has come. Last season, the Commodores suffered a 55-point blowout to the Gamecocks but Vanderbilt is a much different team than a year ago.

The key to earn an astounding victory will be clean play. South Carolina is endlessly efficient, meaning to keep up the Commodores have to limit their own mistakes to suppress a Gamecock onslaught. South Carolina found a way to best LSU by forcing star forward Angel Reese to foul out, opening the door for a 9-2 run that would finish the game with the Gamecocks on top 76-70. The Commodores can’t allow themselves to be dragged into foul trouble as that will give South Carolina ample chances to take advantage by attacking the paint against hesitant defensive play.

Performances from Iyana Moore and Jordyn Cambridge will be essential, especially as Sacha Washington will be outsized by the imposing trio of Cardoso, Kitts and Ashlyn Watkins off the bench. If the two guards can get into a rhythm early, it can open the floor for shooters like Justine Pissott and Aga Makurat to make a potential impact as well, replicating South Carolina by being able to score from multiple areas of the floor. This also means that Vanderbilt needs to convert on the chances earned. The Gamecocks won’t make many mistakes and won’t miss many shots, forcing scorers like Moore and Cambridge to make use of every available opportunity to keep the margin leveled.

A big difference maker though will be Vanderbilt’s on-ball defense. Throughout the season, Vanderbilt has used its intensity on the defensive end to force playmakers into tough situations. The Commodores rank 22nd in the nation in steals per game (11.2) and can create positive odds by pressing heavily on Johnson and Paopao. If the Gamecocks won’t make mistakes on their own, it’s up to Vanderbilt to force it out of them. 

Against a program that is 89-3 over its past three seasons, Vanderbilt will seek to shake up the women’s college basketball world with an unfathomable upset. The path to achieving such a feat is tumultuous, but Shea Ralph will command the effort and tenacity of the Commodores that has driven this team so far already.

Vanderbilt will take on South Carolina Jan. 28th at 2 p.m. CST at Colonial Life Arena.