Vanderbilt Women’s Basketball guard Ryanne Allen enters transfer portal

The sophomore averaged 2.3 points per game on 40% shooting and 37.5% from deep.
Vince Lin
Ryanne Allen huddles with teammates as Vanderbilt faces Fairfield on Nov. 12, 2023. (Vince Lin)

Shea Ralph’s NCAA Tournament squad has suffered its biggest transfer portal loss of the offseason as sophomore guard Ryanne Allen has announced her intention to enter the portal. The news was first reported by Talia Goodman of The IX.

After a freshman season in which she averaged 21.1 minutes per game for an injury-plagued roster, Allen’s time on the court dropped to 6.7 minutes per game in her second year. A 37.5% shooter from beyond the arc, the sophomore was brought off the bench to provide spacing for a Commodores team that often struggled on offense.

Allen played a combined eight minutes in the team’s two NCAA Tournament games and scored two points in the latter outing. Her season high of 9 points came in a 98-51 drubbing of Kennesaw State on opening day.

After cracking double-digit minutes in four of 12 nonconference matchups, Allen exceeded 10 minutes of playing time in only three of 15 SEC games — including blowout losses to South Carolina and LSU. Despite the limited playing time, her ability to knock down shots and hold her own defensively should draw interest from other programs in the transfer portal.