Film Room: Dominant ‘Dores

The Commodores are 16-1 and have displayed they can win in numerous ways.
Vince Lin
Iyana Moore goes in for a layup, as photographed on Jan. 7, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Vince Lin)

Last season, the Vanderbilt Women’s Basketball team finished the season 12-19. That result led to the program ultimately being voted to finish at the bottom of the SEC before the season. However, head coach Shea Ralph and the Commodores have had nothing short of a storybook beginning to this year’s campaign, bursting out to a 16-1 start with three conference wins already logged onto the resume. Even if those wins come through a gritty down to the wire showdown, like against Florida or Western Kentucky, to absolute domination on both ends of the floor, such as against Alabama State and Lipscomb, this team has shown they can win in any way they need to.

Truthfully, the Commodores have embodied a fierce attitude that has put the nation on notice. Whether that has been developed because of Ralph’s energy as a coach or the tenacity of her players, Vanderbilt fights until the buzzer in every game. That intensity has translated well, as Vanderbilt’s defense has allowed 58.1 points per game and averaged 11.9 steals per game, a stat in which they rank 17th in the nation.

On the offensive side of the ball, Vanderbilt has options to score on all three levels, making the Commodores a threat from every area of the court. The leader of the offense is senior guard Jordyn Cambridge, who’s currently averaging 14.7 points, 7.3 rebounds, 4.9 assists and 4.2 steals per game. The other half of the backcourt tandem is junior Iyana Moore, who averages 12.7 points and 3.2 rebounds per game. Down low, the ever-so-strong Sacha Washington anchors the post, averaging 13.5 points and 8 rebounds per game while shooting 53.2% from the field. Tall guards, such as Justine Pissott and Aga Makurat, consistently stretch the floor with the threat of an assault from behind the arc, whereas other members of the roster, like Jordyn Oliver, Khamil Pierce and Bella Lachance, can do practically anything asked of them while on the court. 

Stats aside, this team possesses the building blocks of a winning program and is a serious NCAA Tournament contender. Although they currently lie just outside of the AP Top 25, the Commodores are set to be a force to be reckoned with going forward. With that being said, let’s look at some of the key facets of Vanderbilt’s style of play that has guided them to a commanding start through seventeen games.

Tips, Traps & Turnovers

As aforementioned, the Commodores are gritty and intense. That intensity is most seen defensively, where all variations of the five women on the court are synonymously hungry for the ball and seeking to shut down their opposition. Frequently, Vanderbilt swings the momentum in its favor by consistently forcing turnovers in a variety of ways. On average, the Commodores force 19.9 turnovers per game, a statistic in which they rank within the top-50 in the country. Through its three conference games against Mississippi State, Florida and Kentucky, Vanderbilt has caused 50 turnovers, 31 of which came from steals. In moments where the Vanderbilt offense could be making mistakes or struggling to establish a rhythm, the Commodores’ trait of pushing to create turnovers always keeps a game close regardless. It doesn’t just limit their opponent’s offense, but also gives themselves fastbreak opportunities.

A word to describe the Commodores defense is active. At all times, opposing teams are put in a position to deal with a sea of prying hands, whether that be when trying to pass the ball or dribble drive into lanes. Commonly, Vanderbilt will earn steals through a second defender swiping at the ball as a player drives past or tipping the ball out as passes get thrown into the tight-knit defense. 

What spurs this key ability to cause turnovers is not just overwhelming intensity, but the keen awareness and off-ball IQ of every player. Although the roster can hold their own in isolated one-on-one defense, each player is constantly aware of where the ball is and times their actions perfectly to cause disruption for an offense. For example, the Commodores are brilliant at traps, where the ball-handler is swarmed by a double-team created by an off-ball defender coming over after a screen. In these scenarios, Vanderbilt can then create opportunities to retain possession by forcing a bad pass, stripping the ball, generating a held ball turnover or travel. 

Efficient Movements, Efficient Scoring

As mentioned before, this Vanderbilt team is a scoring threat at all levels. Early season performances by Washington, such as against Fairfield and Tennessee-Martin, made her a target and focal point for the other team’s defense, effectively opening the door for scoring to come from elsewhere. However, more important than just going out and trying to score is everything that leads up to that moment. The Commodores are amazing at putting themselves in a position to score, an ability that is formulated by a bundle of different things. Every single action taken by a Vanderbilt player on the court is always done with purpose. 

Firstly, the Commodores don’t ease their way into offensive sets. As soon as they get across the half-court line, it seems as if the entire team is already in motion. Off-ball screens, cuts and endless movement come from every area of the court as Vanderbilt gets into what Shea Ralph draws up. Secondly, the threat posed on each level of the court puts opposing defenses in tough situations. Closing in on Washington after an entry pass into the post gives her the chance to kick it back out to the shooters lining the perimeter. Focusing too much on Cambridge as she comes around a pick to drive leaves a backdoor cut wide open. Situations like this are what Vanderbilt thrives on, always having more than one option to get points on the board.

Ultimately, this ability to create scoring opportunities and generate efficient possessions also just comes down to the team being unselfish. Looking at national stats, Vanderbilt doesn’t appear to have a player that can get an easy bucket. In fact, the highest scorer for Vanderbilt, Cambridge, ranks 192nd in the nation in points per game. However, by watching this team, it’s easy to understand that these players possess the skill sets to be great one-on-one isolation scorers, but instead often opt to share the ball in a way that ensures success. No matter who has the ball in their hand, they are always looking to make a great pass to a teammate. This is the reason why Vanderbilt is in the top-50 in assists per game. This sharing mindset, combined with never ending movement, has given the Commodores an incredibly efficient offense.

Getting to the Line

As efficient as Vanderbilt can be, just like any other great team, there can be off nights. The Commodores aren’t always shooting perfectly or consistently getting open looks. However, that’s when Vanderbilt can use its intensity as a spark-plug, driving and forcing the defense to foul. Even though this team doesn’t shoot a high number of free throws per game, when they find themselves at the line, they are able to convert. This is another way they can cushion or cut into a lead during contests. The free throw line is always a reliable avenue to get points, and sometimes teams fail to utilize the charity stripe to its full effect.

Over Vanderbilt’s three game conference win streak, the Commodores have shot 51 free throws, making 43. In the first two conference games against Mississippi State and Florida, where Vanderbilt won by five and six respectively, free throws played a major part in swinging these contests in their favor. Against Florida alone, Vanderbilt shot 30 free throws, finishing the game by making seven straight to seal the game. With players that are great off the dribble, like Cambridge and Moore, alongside a force in the paint like Washington, fouls can be constantly drawn, creating an abundant amount of free throw opportunities. 

Overall, Ralph and the Commodores have blossomed into a threat to the flagship powerhouses of the college basketball world. With its first 3-0 SEC start since the 2008-09 season, Vanderbilt finds itself at the forefront of the conference standings alongside South Carolina and LSU. With a balanced roster playing with high levels of persistence and perseverance, there will not be a game where Vanderbilt won’t have a chance to win. Going forward, with upcoming matchups against teams like No. 1 South Carolina, No. 7 LSU, Alabama and Ole Miss, this Vanderbilt unit will be tested. However, this isn’t the same Vanderbilt team as years prior, and if the nations’ best overlooks that fact, a rude awakening may await them.