Press Conference Notes: Clark Lea previews road matchup with South Carolina

Clark Lea previewed South Carolina and reflected on last week’s loss to Auburn
Geetika Komati
Ken Seals scrambling from an Auburn defender, as captured on Nov. 4, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Geetika Komati)

Three days after the Vanderbilt Commodores lost their eighth consecutive game, football head coach Clark Lea addressed the media at his weekly press conference. Lea previewed Vanderbilt’s upcoming matchup with Spencer Rattler and the South Carolina Bulldogs. Vanderbilt has lost to South Carolina 14 consecutive times and is desperately looking to put that streak to rest. 

“We know Spencer Rattler is a great competitor and has challenged us,” Lea said. “You have to keep him caged up. You have to vary his looks. He’s got some talented people that he’s throwing the ball to as well and that will create some matchup challenges for us, but [I’m] excited for the opportunity.”

Lea then addressed the quarterback situation. The Commodores have played AJ Swann, Ken Seals and Walter Taylor at some point this season. Seals will remain the starter, while Swann’s recovery has been going well. Taylor will be featured in Saturday’s game plan. 

“AJ Swann has been able to practice,” Lea said. “Right now, I don’t anticipate anything changing for us in terms of what we’ve done to this point, but we always want to leave room there just because it is about getting the best 11 [players] on the field.”

Based on Lea’s assessment, it sounds as though Seals will be penciled in as the starter against South Carolina. Seals put forth a solid performance in the loss to Auburn after being benched in Vanderbilt’s previous game against Auburn. However, Lea noted that Seals’s performance was far from perfect and there are still timing issues within the passing offense.

“We need to build chemistry and connection in the passing game. Coming out of the Auburn game, it felt like we were holding onto the ball too long, whether that was on the pass protection or not throwing guys open,” Lea said. “It’s about us fine-tuning the things that we need to be good at to have a chance to execute and be in a competitive game in Columbia.”

Lea noted that regression in the pass protection by the offensive line has also been a limiting factor for the offense. Although injuries can partially explain the group’s declining performance, it’s concerning to see a veteran unit that has actively gotten worse throughout the season. 

“I was really disappointed with the level of pressure and the sacks we faced on Saturday. I felt like Ken didn’t have time,” Lea explained. “When you have a route open downfield and the quarterback needs to go through a progression, there has to be an understanding for the five guys up front and the running back of how it’s going to be picked up.” 

Vanderbilt will play South Carolina at 11 a.m. CST on Saturday, Nov. 11, at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina.

Injury updates:

Demarion Thomas: Doubtful

CJ Taylor: Week-to-week

Quincy Skinner: Probable