IN PHOTOS: ‘Tell Me’ about Briscoe bringing it to The Basement

Briscoe performs songs from their EP and debut album at their first show in Nashville.
Alex Brodeur
Briscoe performs at The Basement, as photographed on Oct. 11, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Alex Brodeur)

Briscoe, a fresh folk-rock group from Austin, Texas, brought an intimate feel to their first show in Nashville. Surrounded by walls lined with all kinds of stickers and eclectic posters hanging from the ceiling, the band performed singles and songs from their debut album, “West Of It All,” bringing their unique sound to the growing collection of artists who have performed on The Basement’s iconic stage. 

Briscoe vocalists Truett Heintzelman and Philip Lupton set the vibe with their hit, “The Well.” As they began to sing, the room filled with movement. The audience swayed and cheered as the music picked up at the chorus. The crowd joined in to clap along to “Feelin’ It Again” at the bridge.

Briscoe showcased diverse musical abilities through their instrumentation. They brought a Western sound with their acoustic guitar and harmonica combination and jammed out to a jazz feature on the saxophone.

At one point, the lead vocalists transitioned from the stage to the center of the audience. The crowd surrounded them in true campfire fashion as they sang an acoustic version of “Scattered Mind.” The red glow of the light illuminated their faces in the dimly lit room. The song faded into a whisper, the kind you only hear at the end of a folk tale. A brief moment of silence passed before the crowd erupted in applause after this intimate experience. 

The show concluded with the band’s most streamed song — “Hooped Earrings” — during which Briscoe highlighted each artist’s musical ability. There was a feature on the keyboard, drums and bass guitar. The crowd nodded along to the beat of the music while singing the lyrics to end the song and show. 

Despite being the first time Briscoe played in Nashville, they shared special moments with their fans who came to support them. Their intimate performance brought me back to a cool October night in suburban North Carolina, where a group of my hometown friends and I sat around a fire playing guitar and softly singing newly learned songs. These are the places where the whisper of a story reaches your ear and, in the dim light, you can feel the warmth of music touch your soul.