Branscomb, Chaffin, McGill residents experience AC unit water leaks

The leaks occurred during a heatwave in late August.
Tasfia Alam
Branscomb Quadrangle, as photographed on Oct. 4, 2022. (Hustler Multimedia/Tasfia Alam)

Residents of Branscomb Quadrangle, Chaffin Place and McGill Hall reported water leaking through ceiling tiles during heavy rain in late August.  

The Office of Housing and Residential Experience advised students to submit a request in ReADY to report AC and other maintenance issues. It pointed to temperature changes as the potential cause of the leaks. Temperatures in Nashville were scorching during the late August heat wave.

“Fluctuations in daily outdoor temperatures may result in heating-cooling systems having to adjust accordingly. Residents should keep windows closed during rainy days due to condensation caused by humidity,” OHARE said in an Aug. 31 email to The Hustler.

Chaffin Place resident Caleb Kim, a sophomore, said he noticed water dripping from his ceiling prior to a ceiling tile collapsing from water damage. Similarly, Scales House resident and sophomore Owen Cai said he experienced water damage to his room and violin case from an AC unit leaking two floors above him on Aug. 25.

“I was just relieved that our entire room wasn’t swamped, but it’s sort of frustrating that you don’t even know when something will go wrong,” Cai said.

McGill Hall resident and sophomore Isaac Schultz said he noticed a large puddle on the floor in his room when he woke up on Aug. 26. He expressed frustration with the situation but praised maintenance for its timely response.

“Being freshly woken up, I didn’t seem to acknowledge it, but then soon realized that something had spilled or leaked,” Schultz said. “I cleaned up the water and was nervous to leave my AC on to leave my dorm, scared that another puddle would form. So, I turned it off, and had no AC.” 

Another McGill Hall resident, junior Alyssa Bersamin, said her AC was broken when she arrived on campus. While maintenance fixed it on Aug. 24, she noticed water leaking from the AC onto the floor the next morning. 

“I submitted another maintenance request and called the RA on duty,” Bersamin said. “Maintenance was able to fix my AC and clean the water on Saturday [Aug. 26].”

Jenny Yang
Jenny Yang, Staff Writer and Photographer
Jenny Yang (‘26) is from Colonial Heights, Va. She is majoring in economics and political science with a minor in business. In her free time, Jenny enjoys trying new food, learning about different cultures and spending quality time with loved ones. She can be reached at [email protected].
Tasfia Alam
Tasfia Alam, Multimedia Copy Editor
Tasfia Alam (‘25) is from Los Angeles and is majoring in neuroscience and political science in the College of Arts and Science. When not writing for The Hustler, she can be found obsessing over a new book, trying to expand her music taste or taking pictures of pretty sunsets. You can reach her at [email protected]