Liam Robbins signs with New Orleans Pelicans as UDFA

Less than 12 hours after going undrafted on Thursday night, Vanderbilt’s Liam Robbins signed with the New Orleans Pelicans.
Liam Robbins shoots a jumper against Tennessee on January 10, 2023 (Vanderbilt Athletics).

After going undrafted in the 2023 NBA Draft on Thursday night, Liam Robbins has reportedly signed with the New Orleans Pelicans. The deal was reported by Micahel Scotto from Hoops Hype just after 9:15 a.m. CDT today.

Robbins began his college career at Drake University, where he played for two seasons. In his second season at Drake, Robbins averaged 14.1 points per game and started in all 34 games he played. He then made a one-year stop at the University of Minnesota, where he averaged 24.7 minutes per game, 2.7 blocks per game and 11.7 points per game. The 7-foot center then transferred to Vanderbilt for the remainder of his college career. Robbins was set to make an immediate impact for the Commodores, but a preseason foot injury had Robbins sidelined for the first 21 games of the season. In Robbins’ final 15 games of the season, he averaged 6.8 points and 2 blocks per game.

The 2022-23 season for Robbins was his best year across the board. The fifth-year senior was named First Team All-SEC, SEC Defensive Player of the Year and was a part of the SEC All-Defensive Team. Robbins averaged 15 points, 6.8 rebounds and 3.15 blocks per game in the 2022-23 season despite playing in only 26 games for the Commodores due to a season-ending leg injury on March 3 against the Kentucky Wildcats.

Robbins’s long injury history was the benefactor in the big man going undrafted. If Robbins can stay healthy in the NBA, he can make a strong impact as a 3-and-D player. It has not been announced whether Robbins will be healthy to play with the Pelicans this July at the 2023 Summer League in Las Vegas. If so, the Summer League will be a tremendous opportunity for him to earn a spot on the New Orleans Pelicans’ roster once the regular season comes around.

Robbins is joining an organization with an elite frontcourt. Having that opportunity and joining the likes of Zion Williamson, Brandon Ingram and Larry Nance Jr. will be integral in his growth as a professional basketball player.

Stay tuned to The Vanderbilt Hustler sports section on Twitter for 2023 NBA Draft news.