2022 MLB Draft: Spencer Jones drafted 25th overall by New York Yankees

Vanderbilt right fielder Spencer Jones was selected by the New York Yankees with the 25th pick in the first round.
Spencer Jones crosses home plate in Vanderbilt’s win over Evansville on Feb. 23, 2022. (Photo courtesy of Vanderbilt Athletics)

Vanderbilt slugger Spencer Jones was drafted by New York Yankees with the 25th overall pick in the first round of the 2022 MLB Draft. Jones was the second Commodore drafted in the first round after Kumar Rocker’s selection earlier in the evening, but the first active member of the team to be selected in the draft. The 6’7″ lefty from California becomes the 19th VandyBoy to be drafted in the first round of the MLB Draft in the Tim Corbin era. 

Jones came to Nashville after a highly-regarded prep career as a star both as a hitter and pitcher. The Los Angeles Angels selected him in the 31st round in 2019 out of La Costa Canyon High School but he fractured his elbow in 2019 and tore his ulnar collateral ligament in 2020, shifting his focus to hitting. 

The towering right fielder showed glimpses of promise on Vanderbilt’s 2021 runner-up squad before breaking out in a major way in the 2022 season. As a junior, Jones tallied 12 home runs, 60 RBIs, a .370 average and 14 stolen bases (second on the team in each category). The campaign earned him second-team All-SEC honors as he was one of the Commodores’ biggest offensive weapons throughout the year. 

Even still, the potential of Jones’ game is what is so tantalizing to MLB scouts. As a 6’7″ outfielder, Jones has a unique skill set that combines raw power and speed—drawing comparisons to the likes of another Yankee: Aaron Judge. The power-hitting lefty gained social media fame this season due to his monster home run swats.

Jones will now enter the New York Yankees farm system as one of its top prospects and a name to keep an eye on over the next few years. 

Stay tuned to The Vanderbilt Hustler Sports section on Twitter for 2022 MLB Draft news.