A Hustler holiday wishlist

You’re guaranteed to end up on the “Nice” list with our holiday gift ideas.
Graphic of colorful gift boxes
Gift-giving is our love language. (Emery Little/Hustler Multimedia)

When finals week comes to a close and we all take a collective breath of air, we’re left with one big task to check off our to-do lists: holiday shopping. Having spent many recent nights in Stevenson and frantically churning out essays, it is safe to say that many of us forgot to go pick out that perfect sweater for Mom. 

Luckily, we’ve got you covered. If you’re seeking the perfect gift ideas for your family, friends or yourself (treat yourself!), look no further. As The Hustler’s resident tastemakers, we’ve compiled the ultimate gift guide to everything we’re asking for this holiday. Happy shopping!

Apple AirTag, $30 (Justine Del Monte — Life Copy Editor)

In 2019, I lost my wallet and my life has never been the same since. I still miss my ugly high school ID. And my Yogurt Shack stamp card. And also my money. Clearly, this AirTag would’ve come in handy. Plus, I would’ve gotten a free frozen yogurt by now.

Big Joe Beanbag, $55.96 (Sophie Edelman — Life)

I love having friends over to hang in my dorm but there’s never enough room for everyone to have a place to sit between two beds and two chairs! I’m asking for this beanbag because it would fit well in my dorm room and seems easy to pack up at the end of the year. 

Glossier Makeup Set, $40 (Claire Gatlin — Life and Multimedia)

These are staples in my everyday routine! Featuring Glossier’s Boy Brow gel, Lash Slick mascara and popular Cloud Paint blush, this makeup set always comes in clutch when I’m rushing to class and need to get ready quickly.

Custom Mug, $9.40+ (Phoebe Sklansky — Life Deputy Editor)

My lovely coworker Sahanya recently gave me an adorable personalized mug in a Secret Santa gift exchange between Life editors, and I’ve decided that it’s the perfect gift for a friend or roommate. Choose their favorite color and a cute font, then slap an inside joke on the mug and your bestie will appreciate you every time they caffeinate. (In an added Hustler twist, Sahanya’s design shouts out my “Bachelor” franchise recap column, Here for the Wrong Reasons.)

Elephant Diffuser, $20.99 (Laura Vaughan — Multimedia)

I asked for this adorable elephant-shaped diffuser so that I can keep my dorm room more humidified, especially as winter approaches. It also lets me diffuse essential oils so that the room smells better (especially because my room is next to the Hank bathroom).

“Go Ahead in the Rain: Notes to A Tribe Called Quest,” $14.01 (Samuel Hyland — Life)

I’ve been trying to read a lot of music essays written in first-person, and I have had my eye on this book for a long time. I don’t know why I want to read someone’s firsthand account of being obsessed with a rap group throughout high school, but here we are.

Bo Burnham “Inside” Merch, $44.99 (Marissa Tessier — Life)

After watching Bo Burnham’s 2021 film, “Inside,” over four times this year—not to mention having him as one of my top artists on my Spotify Wrapped—it’s safe to say that I’m a bit obsessed. This “Don’t Panic” sweater cements my love for the film and would be absolutely hilarious to wear to my exams, and the other designs are great for showing off your appreciation for Burnham’s comedy.

Kristin Ess Perfume: Milky Santal, $10 (Jorie Fawcett — Life)

My mom got me a variety pack of Kristen Ess’ travel-size scents last Christmas and I loved them so much! Kristin Ess also sells hair products which I use on the daily. I think the perfume is a winter-season only product, so order soon!

Apple Gift Card, $20 (Oghosa Omobude — Life) 

Apple gift cards are helpful present ideas for college students, since we rely so heavily on our laptops and phones. I don’t really use apps that aren’t free, so I tend to use the card to pay for my iCloud storage upgrade for a couple of months (sometimes it goes up to a year or longer) or my subscriptions to Apple Music, Apple News, Apple TV and more. Just set a reminder for when the gift card money will be used up and you can forget about paying your Apple bills for a while. It’s glorious. 

Silpat Nonstick Cookie Sheet Liner, $29.95 (Jessica M. Barker, Editor-in-Chief)

I’m an avid baker, so I’d like to upgrade from my current parchment paper setup to this nonstick reusable silicone-coated sheet. Currently, my favorite thing to bake is a lemon cake!

Travel necessities (Sahanya Bhaktaram — Life Copy Editor)

The best gifts are ones that either show you know the person, or ones of convenience—something that makes your life easier but you wouldn’t want to buy yourself. Given that I am studying abroad next semester, I would love to receive some travel-related items that would satiate my inner control freak who is about to lack any semblance of a normal routine. Packing cubes, this holy grail Amazon toiletries kit, a jewelry organizer, a tech organizer or a good old custom pouch would all make great gifts. If you’re wanting something that feels luxurious, yet is still practical, you can’t go wrong with an oversized cozy scarf that doubles as a blanket—this plaid one from Free People will instantly upgrade your airport ‘fit and keep you cozy during your nap on the plane.