VH New Music Fridays: An interview with Nashville’s YOUR BEST FRIEND’S FAVORITE BAND

We sat down with Nashville’s YOUR BEST FRIEND’S FAVORITE BAND for the first edition of our revamped New Music Fridays.
nmf
Sophie Edelman
Happy New Music Friday! This week, we sat down with YBFFB.

What’s your best friend’s favorite band? It should be Nashville’s own YOUR BEST FRIEND’S FAVORITE BAND (YBFFB). 

YBFFB’s latest release “HOW TO LIVE WITHOUT YOU” inspires listeners to roll down the windows and turn up the music. As a rising artist, YBFFB is taking hold of the local music scene with his 80’s-inspired pop/rock jams. 

South Florida native YBFFB found his passion for music when he started playing piano at three years old. From there, he learned to sing and produce, helping his music career evolve to where it is today.

“Soon enough music was all that I cared about,” YBFFB said. “I loved growing up in Florida, but I’m so happy that I’m in Nashville now. I just think it’s a better place for music,” he stated.

But YBFFB’s current smooth sound and success wasn’t born from nothing. In fact, the name originated from a discussion on the beach with his best friend about his music career.

“We were talking about how I’ve been doing this music thing for a while, but I hadn’t been getting any traction” YBFFB said. “He was trying to give me support by saying, ‘Well you’re my favorite band.’ I don’t know why but it just clicked—to take up the name YOUR BEST FRIEND’S FAVORITE BAND.”

YBFFB reflected on growing up listening to a mix of classic rock music as well as modern pop songs. His sound is thus largely influenced by these genres, yet the ways he brings them together makes his music entirely unique.

“I would describe my style as if the Band CAMINO and Ben Rector had a musical baby that Harry Styles adopted,” YBFFB said. “I really like that visceral rock sound and crisp, clean pop.”

He also said that his main goal in songwriting and music production is to make people feel as though they aren’t alone through his music. 

“In life we’re really good at telling stories, having empathy, and loving one another,” YBFFB said. “How do we take those crappy things that happened to us, and twist it in a way that can help people feel that they’re not alone? I feel like music and songwriting is my way of doing that.”

To do this, YBFFB often draws from his own experiences, making himself completely vulnerable to his audience. This is especially apparent in his Oct. 22 release. Dedicated to his mother who passed away two years ago, this touching and heartfelt song takes listeners through the process of grief and moving on.

“I was having a really difficult time in my grieving process in not having such an influential person in my life to talk to and rely on,” YBFFB said. “This concept of ‘you were my teacher, you taught me most things, but you never taught me what to do when the day would come where I would have to live without you.’ I hope it sends a message to people that says that they aren’t alone and that these traumatic things can happen, but you will find a way to move on.”

In the future, YBFFB’s goal is to play the FTX Arena in his hometown of Miami. Until then, be on the lookout for his upcoming tracks, with the next single set to be released in January.

“I just want to have a lot of best friends,” YBFFB said. “So listen to my music.”