Sarah Fuller to participate in presidential inauguration

“It’s an honor to be invited to participate in one of America’s greatest traditions,” Fuller said on Twitter.
Sarah Fuller laces up her cleats prior to Vanderbilt’s Nov. 28 contest at Missouri. (Vanderbilt Athletics)

Vanderbilt goalkeeper and kicker Sarah Fuller has been invited to participate in Joe Biden’s presidential inauguration on Wednesday, Jan. 20, she confirmed on Twitter.

“It’s an honor to be invited to participate in one of America’s greatest traditions,” she said. “This historic inauguration is especially meaningful for American women and girls. The glass ceilings are breaking and it is the time to #LeadLikeAWoman.”

Fuller taped a pre-recorded video for the inauguration, a university spokesperson confirmed to The Hustler. The segment will air during the “Celebrating America” prime-time program, which begins at 7:30 p.m. CST on ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC and MSNBC.

The Presidential Inaugural Committee on Jan. 17 announced it will “celebrate a number of the everyday Americans who have stepped up in their communities during the primetime special,” including Sarah Fuller, Anthony Gaskin, Cavanaugh Bell, Mackenzie Adams, Morgan Marsh-McGlone and Sandra Lindsay.

Fuller, a senior from Wylie, Texas, entered the 2020 soccer season as Vanderbilt’s backup goalkeeper. After the Commodores dropped two of its first three games, she took over for sophomore Sophie Guilmette as Vanderbilt’s starting goalie, a position she held through Vanderbilt’s first SEC Tournament title since 1994 on Nov. 22.

Two days after the SEC Tournament, The Hustler on Nov. 24 reported that Sarah Fuller practiced with the football team as a kicker. In the proceeding games, Fuller became the first woman to log a snap in a Power Five football game with a kickoff against Missouri, then the first woman to score with two extra points against Tennessee.