Vandy Boys are hitting it out of the park… on TikTok

Rising junior Matt Hogan and incoming first-year Ben Hansen have acquired thousands of followers and views on the platform.
Matt Hogan and Ben Hansen are just two of the players who have been active on TikTok. Screenshot from TikTok desktop.

Although the remainder of their season was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Vandy Boys are still showing their love for baseball on the latest and greatest social media platform: TikTok. A few of them have even had videos go viral, and rightfully so. Who wouldn’t want to see the behind the scenes footage of a National Championship-winning team? 

The elite athleticism and winning legacy of the Vandy Boys is usually what brings national attention to the team, but several players have tapped into their creative side to rack up thousands of followers on the growing social media platform. Rising junior and outfielder Matt Hogan hopped on the TikTok bandwagon when he uploaded a video of the Vandy Boys receiving their National Championship rings at one of the Vanderbilt football games in October 2019. Little did he know this video would score 340,000 views and 50,000 likes only 6 months later.

“So what really got me to start posting [videos] of the team was really kind of just for fun. Nothing really else to it, but we thought it would be a fun thing to do on a platform that, at the time, was beginning to take off,” Hogan said. 

Today, he has over 10,000 fans on the app and continues to reminisce about the excitement of that first video. Throughout the rest of his sophomore season, Hogan continued to post behind the scenes footage of them on the road. 

“When the first video went viral it was really cool for us. Everyone was pretty excited about it and as it grew more, we had more fun making them,” Hogan said.

TikTok stardom hasn’t just reached current Vandy Boys, but incoming players as well. Rising first-year Ben Hansen has almost 64,000 followers on the platform and 2.7 million likes. In his most popular video, Hansen shows his Vandy pride by repping his black and gold gear, which racked up 570,000 views. He continues to show his excitement about joining the team by posting content about his training and daily life as a baseball player. 

Despite the sudden end to their season, their creativity continued to broil and the Vandy Boys are eager to release more behind the scenes footage. The team is already prepping for future videos to upload to the platform.

“More videos will come with the upcoming season and summer. It’s something we like doing because it provides just a small window into our lives on campus and how we spend time with one another,” Hogan said. 

If you haven’t already checked these Vandy boys out, give them a follow for a peek inside the daily life of a Vanderbilt baseball player.