Three matchups to watch: Austin Peay

September 12, 2015: Vanderbilt hosts Georgia at Dudley Field. The Commodores fell to the Bulldogs 31-14. (Bosley Jarrett)

Austin Peay secondary vs. Johnny McCrary

The Governors have given up 80 points in two games to Mercer and Southern Mississippi. A lot of those points have come through the air, as opponents have thrown for a total of 451 yards through just two games. Meanwhile, Vanderbilt quarterback Johnny McCrary has started to elevate his game, despite many hiccups throughout the game against Georgia, including an interception in the red zone leading to a Georgia touchdown. He also started to hit his receivers but multiple dropped balls frustrated him. This game may be the chance to gain some confidence in his arm.

Vanderbilt defensive line vs. Austin Peay offensive line

Austin Peay quarterback Trey Taylor has been sacked four times so far this season, with three of those sacks from Southern Miss. The Vanderbilt defense team has been the best part of the Commodores and has been putting a lot of pressure on opposing quarterbacks. They even strip-sacked Georgia quarterback Greyson Lambert last week and will look to take advantage of a weaker Austin Peay offensive line in this upcoming game.

Tommy Openshaw vs. The Goal Post

Against Georgia, Vanderbilt kicker and punter Tommy Openshaw lined up a 43-yard field goal attempt at the end of the first half and sent the football off the goal post. Those points could have really helped the Commodores salvage some momentum going into halftime, especially after three straight dropped passes led to the field goal attempt. Openshaw also missed one in the opening game against Western Kentucky. Openshaw will have to find some more consistency if the Commodores want to find long-term success and stop their drives from stalling in the red zone.