VCR, VCD issue statements on presidential election

Vanderbilt College Democrats and Republicans make their statements regarding the current status of the election.
The Tennessee State Capitol, located in Nashville, is home to the the Tennessee General Assembly and the governor’s office. (Former Hustler Multimedia/Emily Gonçalves)

The United States Presidential Election between President Donald Trump and Former Vice President Joe Biden is still yet to be decided, according to the Associated Press (AP).

Biden is currently leading the Electoral College 264-214 with five states, Alaska, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Nevada and North Carolina, yet to be decided, per the AP.

While AP called Arizona for Biden at 1:50 CST Nov. 4, other news organizations, including The New York Times, have not yet called the state.

The Democrats are expected to retain control over the House, and the Republicans over the Senate, according to the AP.

The Trump campaign has filed lawsuits in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Georgia. Per AP’s Mark Sherman, these lawsuits “[lay] the groundwork for contesting battleground states.”

The Hustler collected the following statements from Vanderbilt College Democrats (VCD) and Vanderbilt College Republicans (VCR).

Vanderbilt College Republicans

In an 8:46 p.m. CST message to The Hustler, VCR President Will Fritzler said, “We are cautiously optimistic about President Trump’s chances in the states yet to be called. Furthermore, we are quite happy that Republicans are expected to retain control of the Senate, and that Republicans made gains in the House. Regardless of the presidential race, this is a strong election for Republicans, and I speak on behalf of our club by expressing my excitement for what will come after.”

Fritzler is The Hustler’s sports copy editor.

Vanderbilt College Democrats

In an 8:52 p.m. CST email to The Hustler, VCD President Devon Shewell said, “Vanderbilt College Democrats are confident in Joe Biden, the American people, and the democratic process at large. We are optimistic that Joe Biden and the Democratic Ticket will secure a victory, but there are still thousands of ballots that need to be counted, and those voices must be heard. We condemn any attempt by the President and the Republican party to stop counting votes or wrongly claim election victory. As with all elections, patience is necessary as we wait for democracy to take its course.”