Vanderbilt suspends all spring study abroad programming in mainland China

Due to the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China, Vanderbilt has redirected all students studying abroad in China to other programs.
Vanderbilt Student Health center.

Vanderbilt has temporarily suspended all study abroad programming in mainland China for the spring, according to Global Safety and Security Manager Andrea Bordeau. The office has not yet made decisions on upcoming semesters, which includes this summer.

“All students who were studying abroad in mainland China and those that were still scheduled to depart for their programs have been redirected to other programs in line with their academic needs and interests. We do not currently have any students in mainland China,” Bordeau said in an email to The Hustler. “The Global Education Office was proactive in its efforts to stay in touch with all students as this situation has developed and provide any necessary support.”

The coronavirus outbreak is most likely responsible for this suspension. The outbreak originated in Wuhan, China, and there have been 11 reported cases in the United States. Tennessee is not among the six states with reported cases.

The cancelation was made after Vanderbilt worked with their overseas partners and followed their internal risk protocol according to Bordeau. The Dean of Students Office emailed the student body Jan. 29 to notify students that the university is monitoring the coronavirus situation.

The Vanderbilt University Medical Center recommends that people who have had exposure to someone with coronavirus or are sick with cough and fever and have traveled from China within 14 days to call 615-322-2427 and ask to speak to a nurse to create a plan for evaluation.