Morinville/Kearns ticket wins VSG election with 50.35% of the vote

The announcement concludes an election cycle marked by accusations of campaign violations and a brief suspension.
Screenshot of the Morinville/Kearns official campaign photo from the campaign Instagram, as captured on March 28, 2024. (Hustler Multimedia/Tasfia Alam)
Tasfia Alam

CORRECTION: This article was corrected on March 31 at 10:50 p.m. CDT. It previously stated that the Vanderbilt Divest Coalition endorsed Morinville/Kearns. While their platform indicates support for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions, Morinville/Kearns did not receive an official endorsement from VDC, which is not a registered student organization.

VSG’s election commission announced on March 28 that juniors Hananeel Morinville and Ellie Kearns won the 2024 VSG presidential election, earning 50.35% of the vote. The Sevaan/Warner ticket earned 42.42%, while the Morales/Norman ticket earned 6.74%.

The announcement follows an indefinite suspension of the election period after the eligibility of the Morinville-Kearns ticket was internally called into question. After arguments on the subject were heard by VSG’s Judicial Court, a new one-day campaign period was initiated, effectively delaying the election by one day.

The election’s conclusion also means the proposed Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions amendment to VSG’s constitution, which had generated substantial support on VSG’s petition website, will not be included as a ballot initiative during this election cycle. Students protested Vanderbilt administration’s decision to remove the initiative from the ballot with a sit-in at Kirkland Hall on March 26 and 27.

Morinville and Kearns previously expressed solidarity with the protestors in an Instagram post.

"Our campaign has vocally supported the student activists who are encouraging the administration to reinstate the divestment referendum," the post reads. "If the student body is rallying behind a cause... we will stand with you."

Vanderbilt's chapters of Jewish Voice for Peace and Students for Justice in Palestine endorsed Morinville and Kearns, as did the Multicultural Leadership Council, marking their first-ever VSG presidential and vice presidential endorsement. The MLC did not immediately respond to The Hustler’s request for comment.

A total of 2,119 votes were cast, resulting in 30.24% turnout, down only marginally from last year.

Morinville expressed gratitude to everyone that believed in her and Kearns’ campaign despite the delay in this year’s election cycle. 

“This was an incredibly hard fought election season and in addition to campaigning, we had to exert even more energy into rejecting false ideas,” Morinville said in a message to The Hustler. “We’re so grateful our peers believed in our ability to create change, and we’re ready to work.”

VSG statutes require both Morinville and Kearns, who is currently studying abroad, to be inaugurated in person. Kearns declined to comment on whether she would return to the country for inauguration.

First-year running-mates Evan Prestipino and Rachel Warner did not immediately respond to The Hustler’s request for comment on the outcome of the election.

Sophomore running-mates Lin Morales and Dee Norman shared their excitement for Morinville and Kearns to take office. 

“Congratulations to [Morinville] and [Kearns]!” Morales and Norman said in a joint statement to The Hustler. “We are happy to hear that they won and wish them the best, and we look forward to seeing what they will accomplish.”

Sophomore Simran Jain, the third VSG elections commissioner this election cycle following two resignations, lauded the energy of the campaign.

“We saw a lot of passion from all of the campaign teams this year, and I look forward to seeing what Hananeel and Ellie accomplish throughout their term next year!" Jain said.

Outgoing VSG President Sam Sliman, a senior, shared well wishes for Morinville and Kearns entering their term.

“Congrats to Hananeel and Ellie, and I wish them luck in their administration next year,” Sliman said. “I’m just glad we aren’t going to a runoff.”

Senior Rebecca Weintraub lamented that only about one in three students voted this cycle.

“It’s disheartening to see such a small percentage of the student body taking advantage of their right to vote,” Weintraub said. “This is clearly a campus that cares deeply about democratic expression, and I wish that was more evident in our turnout for student elections.”

Tasfia Alam
Tasfia Alam, Multimedia Copy Editor
Tasfia Alam (‘25) is from Los Angeles and is majoring in neuroscience and political science in the College of Arts and Science. When not writing for The Hustler, she can be found obsessing over a new book, trying to expand her music taste or taking pictures of pretty sunsets. You can reach her at [email protected]
Parker Smith
Parker Smith, Former Deputy News Editor
Parker Smith ('24) is majoring in computer science and political science in the School of Engineering. He enjoys playing guitar in his spare time and is a former Starbucks barista and self-proclaimed coffee expert. He can be reached at [email protected].