BREAKING: VSG orders new one-day campaign period, voting to commence March 26

VSG’s Judicial Court ruled that a one-day campaign period would take place on March 25 immediately followed by two days of voting and appointed a new acting elections commissioner.
Abby Hoelscher
Sarratt Student Center and Rand Hall sign captured through fall foliage, as photographed on Oct. 26, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Abby Hoelscher)

UPDATED: This article was updated on March 26 at 2:24 p.m. CDT to include the name of the new VSG Elections Commissioner — the third this election cycle — following the prior Acting Elections Commissioner’s resignation.

As decided in a March 24 ruling by the VSG Judicial Court, the 2024 election cycle will resume with a single-day campaign period on March 25. The request, submitted by presidential candidate Sevaan Prestipino, a first-year, and granted by a majority vote of the Court, orders two days of voting on March 26 and 27 immediately after the one-day campaign period. 

This decision follows the court’s suspension of the previous election period after former Chief of Staff Ari Sasson, a senior, challenged the Morinville-Kearns ticket’s eligibility. In an email to The Hustler, VSG Judicial Court Chief Justice Robert Lowther wrote that the new election schedule is meant to “ensure the fairness and legitimacy” of the election in light of the “significant upheaval caused by the invalidation of the previous election.” Lowther also shared that, in light of former Election Commissioner William Fiechtl’s resignation on March 23, the new Acting Elections Commissioner is Corey Feuer. On March 26, VSG’s Elections Commission shared with The Hustler that sophomore Simran Jain has assumed the role following Feuer’s resignation.

The court cited potential burdens on the candidates as a factor in its decision to commence a shortened new campaign period.

“Of particular concern is the mental and physical health of the candidates, who have reported academic, physical and mental struggles related to the stress of campaigning,” Lowther said. “A new extended election period would place an undue burden on all candidates.”

The new campaign period will take place from 8 a.m. CDT on March 25 through 7:59 a.m. CDT on March 26. The general election will follow from 8 a.m. CDT on March 26 to 12 p.m. CDT on March 28. Lowther added that the Elections Commission will continue to carry out its duties, including publishing a Nonpartisan Candidate Database, regular updates on the state of the election and a new election rules packet.