A parent-friendly campus guide for impromptu tours

Read to prepare plans for when your parents come to visit this spring.
Gauri Agarwal
A graphic depicting a family going to a construction site and another in front of a building labeled “Vanderbilt University.” (Hustler Multimedia/Gauri Agarwal)

With spring break fast approaching, it’s important to know where to show (and not show) your parents around if they come to visit you at Vanderbilt. With over 300 acres of campus to explore, the possibilities of where to roam are nearly endless. To save the embarrassment of being unprepared, it’s important to plan out the visit, so I’ve created this guide to help prevent anything from going awry on your improvised campus tour. So get ready, learn how to walk backward without tripping and let’s start the list!

#5:

Instead of your dorm room:
This can swing both ways, but most students at Vanderbilt are not known for having the most luxurious or hygienic dorm rooms. From low ceilings to rooms with litter scattered about, be cautious about showing your parents the space you’ve been living independently in. Giving a dorm room tour also puts you at risk of your parents seeing things you would rather they didn’t, from dirty laundry sitting on the floor to crumbs in your bed. You should stick to giving campus tours.

Show them your favorite study spots:
Vanderbilt has endless areas for studying on campus. From the catacombs of Central Library to the highrise benches on the ninth floor of Stevenson 5, your parents will love to see how much thought you’ve put into your academic journey by choosing your go-to study spot, which is oftentimes a space blending personal tastes with academics. It is always a great experience to bring your parents to the exact spot that you have been putting in the effort that has kept you at Vandy so far! 

#4: 

Instead of the gym:

Despite perhaps being an encouraging place to get Vander-built, your parents likely won’t feel the same way. From the fully exhausted gym-goers to the noisy dropping of weights, skip gym day just this once. Alternate ideas for exercising with your parents can include shared outdoor activities, including running across campus or even renting out bicycles to have a stroll around Nashville. 

Take them to a game: 

With baseball season warming up with the VandyBoys ranked 9th in the NCAA so far, basketball winding down after an emotional season and tennis serving up games all throughout March, now is one of the prime times to bring your parents to impress them with Vanderbilt’s athletics. Specifically, baseball tickets can be purchased for as low as $10, making it an excellent choice to see a game as a family.

#3: 

Instead of Calhoun Hall:

Calhoun lacks almost everything Cohen Hall offers. From the run-down school vibes to a history of unreliable accessibility, Calhoun will instantly make your parents gasp. Calhoun also loses points for their lack of proper windows in the corridors of their upper floors, stripping it of one of the few positives it could have had. Alternative academic buildings to explore would be Wyatt Center or Wilson Hall, providing a more welcoming environment for your parents. 

Show them Cohen Hall:

Cohen Hall is often known by first-years as simply the building with “the pretty lobby.” Cohen Hall, though, serves as an art gallery or simply as a photo spot for you to take a group photo with your parents in the marbled lobby. Cohen Hall’s classical charm remains a solid choice as a first impression to your parents on what Vanderbilt is all about.

#2: 

Instead of the Stevenson “Dungeons”:

Don’t get me wrong, Vanderbilt is renowned for its achievements in the sciences, but that does not mean you have to show them the rooms where it happens. From the dingy lighting to the maze-like hallways, Stevenson Center’s basement is oftentimes a source of eeriness for even some seasoned students at Vanderbilt. Also, with the lack of interesting rooms to explore in the basement, the most exciting part of their trip will be the rock displays. 

Show them The Wond’ry:

The Wond’ry is beloved by many Vanderbilt students, with workshops in sewing, circuit design and more. They also occasionally host larger events including the recent Renaissance Women’s Summit, making for excellent activities to plan a visit around. The Wond’ry hosts many Making and Design (MAD) spaces open to Vanderbilt students, which allows you to express your artistic and technical curiosity alongside your parents in fun-filled activities. This choice is great as a jack of all trades in providing activities for you and your parents, with a wide variety of ideas to choose from.

#1:

Instead of Central Library:
Almost every Vanderbilt student is familiar with Central Library but less are familiar with its layout. Often described as a “maze,” Central Library struggles at bringing much joy if you get lost in it. Central Library also is not considered necessarily engaging for the parents, being more of a passive tour of a library that they could see back at home. Bringing your parents to the library can be useful if it’s your favorite study spot, but in that case, it’s better to just show them your second choice. A perk of Central Library though is the fact that Taylor Swift filmed a music video there, but besides that, it’s recommended to steer clear of this specific place on campus.

Show them the lawns:

With the aforementioned 300 acres, Vanderbilt is bound to have enough walking space and grass to satisfy even the most active family. Vanderbilt takes pride in their landscaping, with majestic lawns ranging from the Peabody Esplanade to Alumni Lawn. They also boast a collection of over 6,000 trees maintained by the arboretum and a variety in the campus architecture, bringing spice to every walk. With the rising temperatures as Nashville begins to consistently receive direct sunlight, there is no better time to enjoy the great outdoors. As a bonus, Vanderbilt is also famous for its 3:1 squirrel-to-student ratio, meaning your parents are bound to make a few furry friends every day!