The Vanderbilt Hustler Super Bowl LVIII Roundtable

Can the 49ers win their first super bowl since 1994? Can Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs win their third super bowl in five seasons?
Lexie Perez
The Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers will face off in the Super Bowl on Feb. 11, 2024. (Logos courtesy of SportsLogos.net)

The San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs will clash this Sunday, Feb. 11 at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nev. in Super Bowl LVIII. The 49ers are engineered by a ferocious defense led by Nick Bosa and the Chiefs are led by future hall-of-fame quarterback Patrick Mahomes. Mahomes will look to win his third Super Bowl, while the 49ers will look to win their first Super Bowl since 1994. The 49ers have made the Super Bowl three times this century, but have come up short in all of those games.

Several members of The Hustler staff predicted the winner of the 57th Super Bowl below:

Andrew Wilf, Sports Editor 

I am confident that Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs will win their fourth straight playoff game. After beating the Miami Dolphins in the Wild Card Round, the Chiefs won as underdogs against the Buffalo Bills and Baltimore Ravens, respectively. The trend of the Chiefs being an underdog remains the same this weekend as Las Vegas predicts the Chiefs to lose to the 49ers by two points. If the Chiefs’ offensive line can contain Nick Bosa and San Francisco’s front four, then Mahomes will be able to sling the ball to victory. I predict this game to be the most viewed Super Bowl of all time, especially due to the media buzz surrounding Taylor Swift and Kelce.

Prediction: Chiefs 17, 49ers 14

Anish Mago, Deputy Sports Editor 

Despite the juggernaut that the Niners have looked like for most of the season, Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid always will find a way. Experience and battle scars matter in the playoffs, and the Chiefs have plenty of both. I expect Isaiah Pacheco to exploit a weak Niners run defense and defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and his young, talented defense to confuse Brock Purdy, who has looked shaky for long stretches in both of his playoff games thus far. 15 in Kansas City will continue on his pace to track down TB12 with another win on Sunday.

Prediction: Chiefs 27, 49ers 24

Sam Curtis, Deputy Sports Editor 

Neither team’s postseason wins have been totally convincing, but I think the 49ers are a bit more vulnerable right now after nearly losing to both Jared Goff’s Lions and Jordan Love’s Packers. There’s also the additional factor of Andy Reid having an extra week to prepare: The coach is 31-7 after a bye, but he’s 3-4 when both teams have that extra week — this includes his 2-2 Super Bowl record. I see KC’s defense keeping the Niners at bay (pun intended) and Patrick Mahomes doing just enough to earn his third ring.

Prediction: Chiefs 27, 49ers 21

Henry Oelhafen, Sports Copy Editor

While I do believe the game will be close, I think the 49ers will pull out the win on Sunday. Patrick Mahomes is the stronger quarterback, but Purdy has so many weapons around him. Christian McCaffrey is a reliable option at running back and the 49ers’ plethora of receivers are going to simply beat this Chiefs secondary. Nick Bosa and the 49ers’ pass rush will also put consistent pressure on Mahomes and slow down the Chief’s potent offense.

Prediction: 49ers 38, Chiefs 31

Jayce Pollard, Assistant Sports Specialist

I’m not picking against Patrick Mahomes. I just can’t do it. The Chiefs beat the team that beat the 49ers last year. Why shouldn’t I expect them to beat the 49ers this year?

Prediction: Chiefs 27, 49ers 20

Grace Hall, Assistant Sports Specialist

Although the Chief’s offense has been less prolific this year than in years past, their offensive line has done a good job in postseason play, allowing Patrick Mahomes, who has been stellar in postseason play, to find opportunities to put the team ahead. The Chief’s defense has been solid all season. It has continued that consistency in the postseason, where they limited two of the more prolific scoring offenses in the NFL, the Dolphins and the Ravens, to a combined 17 points. If this team performs how they have been in postseason play, I think the Chiefs will come away victorious by a margin of a field goal.

Prediction: Chiefs 27, 49ers 24

David Hernandez, Lead Sports Analyst

Strikingly similar to the nightmare that was Tom Brady and the New England Patriots dynasty, Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs keep finding their way back. When it comes to Kansas City’s Super Bowl LIV rematch with the 49ers, it’s hard to believe that Purdy will outplay Mahomes when clutch time arrives. Especially with a red-hot Chiefs defense that just shut down the No. 1 rushing offense and MVP favorite Lamar Jackson, I favor Kansas City. The trio of Mahomes, Travis Kelce and head coach Andy Reid will lift their third Lombardi Trophy, with San Francisco fans completely demoralized as they watch Taylor Swift rush the field in celebration.

Prediction: Chiefs 38, 49ers 30

Connor Campbell, Staff Writer

There’s an adage in basketball that says “Ride the hot hand, and the Chiefs are hot right now. I’ve been picking against them for two weeks and for two weeks, they’ve proved me wrong. They have all the momentum going into Sunday and I’d be an idiot to go against that. Plus, picking the Chiefs is a win-win for me. I’ve been rooting for the Niners all playoffs, of course I want them to win the Super Bowl. So either the Niners win and I’m happy or the Chiefs win and I’m right, which also makes me happy.

Prediction: Chiefs 24, 49ers 21

Katelyn Rowan, Staff Writer

While the Chiefs did not look as dominant in the regular season as in years past, their postseason run has shown that you can never count out a team led by Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid. Playing in the Super Bowl is becoming a regular occurrence for the Chiefs with this being their fourth appearance in five seasons. Backed by this familiarity with the Super Bowl, an offense with Mahomes at the helm and a better defense than in previous seasons, the Chiefs are in position to take home another trophy. The offensive star power of the 49ers will put up a fight, but I expect the Chiefs to edge out a victory.

Prediction: Chiefs 24, 49ers 21

Megan Curtis, Staff Writer

Perfect rematch of Super Bowl 54. The Chiefs will win back-to-back years. Patrick Mahomes will be named Super Bowl MVP second year in a row. Kansas City’s linebackers won’t be a liability and will get the job done. The 49ers will cry themselves to sleep. Go Cowboys.

Prediction: Chiefs 20, 49ers 17

Adam Burns, Staff Writer

While the Niners are undoubtedly the better team on paper, I’m going with the Chiefs for two reasons. Firstly, Brock Purdy has been extremely careless with the ball this postseason, especially over the middle. Now he gets to face an uber-talented defense that’s led by a defensive mastermind. That’s a recipe for at least two turnovers, which is simply too many when facing Patrick Mahomes. Amid all of the Chiefs storylines this season, people have somehow forgotten how unbeatable Mahomes is in the playoffs, especially with a rejuvenated Travis Kelce and Rashee Rice. Mahomes will silence the haters once again with a near-flawless line of 21/24, 250 yards, and 3 TD, adding ring number three to his collection.

Prediction: Chiefs 31, 49ers 21

Jorie Fawcett, Editor-in-Chief

I did not know who the Kelce brothers were until last year’s Super Bowl, but I have been a Taylor Swift fan since I was 6 years old. Needless to say, I am rooting for the Chiefs and Taylor Swift’s boyfriend. I just hope both teams have fun.

Prediction: Chiefs 13, 49ers 6